Spark Plug Replacement

isaac01svt

01 lightning
when i was taking the fuel injectors off to get to the spark plugs gas started shooting out not too bad but bad enough to worry me so i put them back in right away what should i do...and was that bad???

ps do i have to space the spark plugs or tightin them up? what spark plugs are recommended??

I have never removed anything other than coilpack & screw to change plugs.And have done many times never on a hot motor though. got it down to a little over an 1-1/2 hrs.

I have not had to remove anything but the coil packs or disconnecting the fuel injector harness, to aid in removing the plugs. If you're pulling the injectors/fuel rail, you're asking for trouble, IMHO.

I just changed mine last night. no fuel rail removal was needed. I would suggest you have a:

5/8" spark plug socket with the rubber insert, two 3/8 swivel adapters, a 3", two 6", and 10" 3/8 extensions, torque wrench (set for 15ftlb's), 3/8" rachet, 1/4" rachet, 7mm short and long socket 1/4" drive, 1/4" swivel adapter, and a 3" extension bar for 1/4" drive.

I also loosened up the steering fluid holder/throttle body bracket/air intake:

One medium flat head screwdriver, a long 8mm 1/4" drive socket, and a long 10mm 1/4" socket.

I would also suggest some rags, some form of compressed air, spark plug gap gauge.

Last edited:
I just changed mine last night. no fuel rail removal was needed. I would suggest you have a:

5/8" spark plug socket with the rubber insert, two 3/8 swivel adapters, a 3", two 6", and 10" 3/8 extensions, torque wrench (set for 15ftlb's), 3/8" rachet, 1/4" rachet, 7mm short and long socket 1/4" drive, 1/4" swivel adapter, and a 3" extension bar for 1/4" drive.

I also loosened up the steering fluid holder/throttle body bracket/air intake:

One medium flat head screwdriver, a long 8mm 1/4" drive socket, and a long 10mm 1/4" socket.

I would also suggest some rags, some form of compressed air, spark plug gap gauge.

I usually use the standard array of 1/4- and 3/8-inch extensions, the required socket (the rubber insert can lead to leaving the socket in the plug well with the new plug)(I suggest a small shot of silicone spray lube or using some dielectric grease on the insert before each plug is installed). I, also, use a 7mm wobble socket or u-joint socket (that way you don't have the u-joint and socket combo come apart on you at the most inopportune time. Also, to keep everything in order, I do just one plug at a time. And, removing the throttle bracket/power steering reservoir is not necessary. Just juggle the right socket/extension combo and you'll be able to get the #5 plug out easily.

Changed mine for the first time last week. I went with Denso IT22s. It took me about 3.5 hours, including making the run to the store to get the right tools. The magnetic wand definetely comes in handy to pick-up those 7mm fuel injector bolts. Patience is key when torqueing down the plugs. With the swivels and extentions, in takes more torque to get them tight than is shown on the wrench (ie 15 ft/lbs). You just gotta "feel" for it.

A little trick my dad showed me ... If you take a piece of push on hose -8 when u put in the new plugs u can use the hose to screw them in with out cross threading the heads

Back