So does anyone Auto X there Lightning?

TTA89

Forced Induction Addict
I Auto X'd mine about 4 times last year and had a blast. Looking forward to 6 events next year.

Is there any basic mods to help improve the handling or braking?

Hey Mike
They say that the rear end movers about a inch from side to side. especially if you lower the rear with shackles like me. So I'm going to try a pan bar that will hold the rear centered side to side. If you do lower the rear make sure you move up the sway bar link the same that you lowered it. I just drilled hole 2'' above the stock ones. Same goes for the front. The bigger sway bars will help too also I have read that the QA-1's are good for tuning on auto crosses as well as drags. The Pan bar shouldn't be to hard to make if I could just get a few closeups of them. I'm going to try and make alot more of the auto crosses this year. I might have to take out my Kirky seat out of the sprint and put in the lightning so I can stay behind the steering wheel.

Last edited:
TTA89 said:
I Auto X'd mine about 4 times last year and had a blast. Looking forward to 6 events next year.

Is there any basic mods to help improve the handling or braking?
Basic mods? Please define. I think you will find the most comprehensive answer on Tim Skelton's web site:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/
How serious are you? How much do you want to spend? Basically you want to make the truck lower and the suspension stiffer. Here are the handling mods I've done to my truck so far:
Ruslow 1100 lb. coils, 1 1/2" drop (still not stiff enough, probably going to 1400 lb. later)
Hotchkis leaf springs, 2" drop
HAL QA1 shock absorbers with Ruslow heim joint kit
Prothane bushings
Ruslow Panhard bar

Ruslow slotted and dimpled rotors
Hawk HPS pads
ATE Super Blue fluid
(These mods seem adequate for auto-x but if I were going to do open track Brembos or equivalent would be necessary).

Next step is to get some 17x11 wheels and Kumho 335/35/17 tires.
Still waiting for someone to come out with a good bump steer kit and brake cooling kit.

Obviously I am not running in H-Stock, ha ha. But here in SoCal we have a class called Sport Truck, which is damned near run what ya brung. (I don't need all those stock class restrictions).

Back