Shocking news from the Evil Lab

L8-APEX

Man on the edge
The Hal shocks and panard bar are on :tu: Now to put some track time on them and tune it out. Thanks for those who made the trip down for some speed work this weekend I appreciate it ;) Here are some pics of the shocks and Panard assy. I like the differance already. No more porpoising over bumps on the highway. Feels solid and planted to the ground. Now to save up for track tires. Problem is getting a race tire rated to safely handle the mammoth load! So mail your checks to the Evil Lab. Now this is progress :D
209-608-12759.jpg

209-608-12758.jpg

209-608-12760.jpg

Last edited:
So when will we get a chance to kick your a$$ on an autocross course? :tu:

Last edited:
Pan Hard

Terry, does the pan hard bar do anything for traction or axle wrap.
Yes I have a short attention span :ie 0-60 I cant help it.

No sir, It is only effective in preventing lateral axle movement. The stock axle has been documented to shift over like two inches under hard cornering:eek: It feels a lot better and other technical stuff like that :tu: More or less it is a handling part not beneficial to drag racing:rolleyes:

Last edited:
L8-APEX said:
Okay pootietanger, retire while people still remeber the days of when you were on top old timer :D Don't be another old washed up competitor that didn't know when to quit ;) That 12.7 is almost a full second behind a red gen 2 and black gen 1 already in the 11.90's :eek: :eek: Sheesh, what would you guys do without me to razz for working hard on building one of the coolest L's around.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A full second? I was a tenth behind the red GenII at FFW in Ennis last fall. Maybe he's widened the gap a bit since then, but a full second? If I was concerned about trivial things like that, I certainly wouldn't have gotten the Roush suspension. Try to launch a lowered Lightning with 400 rwhp and see what happens. The competition is where the fun is and somehow I don't feel like I have to apologize for a 12.7 even if it is a year old. If folks want to pop their motors trying to go faster than the next guy, great. It certainly doesn't cost anything to watch. :p

IMO, head to head same day same place racing is the only way to settle who's got the stuff. Looks like we should maybe try to schedule a competition say at Hallsville this fall for Lightnings only. We could probably get Halo's support along with surrounding states Lightning owners. That would be cool or something. :tu:

Check out the upcoming TALON events calendar for details.
http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27

Last edited:
L8...are those HAL shocks ruslow? What about that panhard rod?? ruslow...i know i ask alot of questions...but i need to know or somthing :rolleyes:

i need to schedule a few installs at the secret lab this summer...about to get out of hawk :Y that last high tech meltdown damn near broke me...still catchin' up... :tu:

Yes, and yes. Stan did a good job of fabbing up this stuff. Just let me know so I can schedule you in ;) Now I need some track time to adjust the shocks and bar. :tu:

I installed these shocks on John's 01 White L, not hard to install at all.

I have an entire write up for what size sockets you need to passed down tips/tricks on the easiest way to install them, which way the adjustable dials should face, etc...

Who would I send all of those instructions to, to post on the web ?

Lemme know!
Dean
01 White L

Dean! said:
I installed these shocks on John's 01 White L, not hard to install at all.

I have an entire write up for what size sockets you need to passed down tips/tricks on the easiest way to install them, which way the adjustable dials should face, etc...

Who would I send all of those instructions to, to post on the web ?

Lemme know!
Dean
01 White L
I'd prefer it if you email the instructions to those who purchase them.

Spike

I'd prefer it if you email the instructions to those who purchase them.

Spike,

Just curious, but why ? I'm a laborer and I installed some shocks and *I* took the time to write down what sockets/tools I used on behalf of my fellow Lightning buddies - to "give back" for a lot of useful information I have found amongst this website.

Of what benefit is knowing to use a 12mm socket here, a 3inch swivel extension here, a breaker bar there, and then a 16mm open end wrench here for someone who hasn't purchased the shocks?? It's like me reading the "How to install the Keypad lock on your Lightning's door handle" if I haven't and have no desire to purchase the "keypad lock"....

Don't take this as a flame - but if you do, go ahead...this is the Internet.

In the meantime, please furnish me with the mailing addresses and email addresses and contact names of everyone who has purchased your shocks so that I may only forward my super secret instructions to them and only them.

-Cheap Laborer Dean!
Awaiting email from John Hotchkis to not tell L owners how to install their swaybars - because I also installed some of those on an L.....

I don't intend it as a flame, so don't worry. I've seen worse and none of it's on the internet.

I agree with the "give back to the buddies" concept which is why I posted the information about the shocks in the first place. BTW, they aren't my shocks.

Regarding the information, if you want to post it, then post it. All you have to do is type the instructions and post them with a new topic title such as "how to install shocks". As for the rest of your comments, lighten up. We're not debating the economics of buying a Lightning or modifying a GM truck, which is even a dumber topic. :rolleyes:

Spike

Stan has damn good product. He is honest, straightforward to the point and gets down to business. Personally I like the convenience factor of having items shipped to my front door. :tu: I can be assured that Stan has put together the proper hardware package. In addition, I can rely on Stan's expertise and experience in the field. :D The Ruslow rotors rock also. I am quite surprised considering low price that others are not purchasing them. The ruslow rotors exhibit less fade and braking is more consistent over stock.

Dean has one of those brake bleeder set ups that you connect to the air compressor. Braking improved considerably after the fluid was replaced. I plan on having this done again soon. :D Dean did a damn good job installing my Hotchkis sway bars and Ruslow HAL QA1's. :D

Spike, The boards have FAQ's on many of them. ;)

5.4 Muscle said:
Stan has damn good product. He is honest, straightforward to the point and gets down to business. Personally I like the convenience factor of having items shipped to my front door. :tu: I can be assured that Stan has put together the proper hardware package. In addition, I can rely on Stan's expertise and experience in the field. :D The Ruslow rotors rock also. I am quite surprised considering low price that others are not purchasing them. The ruslow rotors exhibit less fade and braking is more consistent over stock.

Dean has one of those brake bleeder set ups that you connect to the air compressor. Braking improved considerably after the fluid was replaced. I plan on having this done again soon. :D Dean did a damn good job installing my Hotchkis sway bars and Ruslow HAL QA1's. :D

Spike, The boards have FAQ's on many of them. ;)
I wasn't aware of this and stand corrected. Thanks!
;)
Spike

Who makes the panhard rod? I have been looking for one for my Gen I and Gen II.
I noticed in the pic that a Hotchkis anti-roll bar was used. Is this seemingly the best out for the L? Did you use Hotchkis on the front, as well.
Did you replace the rubber bushing with polyurethane?

Thanks!

We use our own forum on talonclub.com Stan Martin makes the stuff Ruslow. I used Hotchkis sway bars stock bushings.

Back