Shift retard

Required

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Anyone using the trans shift retard function? I’ve been running the base settings from Stinger which it is on with an almost 11* retard at 100% load. Seems like a lot even if only for a fraction of a second. I’m thinking it wouldn’t even be needed under 70% load? IMG_2853.jpeg

You know I'm not sure I have ever even opened up this table. But if it is pulling timing on my truck then I am going to turn that off.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You know I'm not sure I have ever even opened up this table. But if it is pulling timing on my truck then I am going to turn that off.

It stands out in the logs but I was attributing the AFR blips and MAP dips to shifts not necessarily shift retarding the timing . I’m not making some crazy horsepower blowing up powerglides so wonder if it is a carry over from the OEM strategy or an adaptation from drag racing.

It stands out in the logs but I was attributing the AFR blips and MAP dips to shifts not necessarily shift retarding the timing . I’m not making some crazy horsepower blowing up powerglides so wonder if it is a carry over from the OEM strategy or an adaptation from drag racing.
Well it is a form of torque modulation which is in most all OEM programming. I like to turn that off. It is there to help the transmission live but mine is built so I will make sure to turn that nonsense off lol

I use it in the white truck, I pull 7 degrees from 70% to 100% TPS. It lasts for about .2 seconds. If you're going for all out ET and have a built transmission, I'd turn it off. Otherwise, it's a little easier on the transmission.

The AFR/MAP is probably due to the mechanical gear change. You'll just see a short v-shaped dip in the timing from this setting.

Are you guys unlocking the converter on shifts? That’s a parts saver too for more mild/stock transmission builds.

Are you guys unlocking the converter on shifts? That’s a parts saver too for more mild/stock transmission builds.
I keep it locked on the 2-3 but I got the best trans I could by from A1. I don't lock the trans in 1st yet as I don't feel the truck makes enough power to utilize it yet. Once I get built motor and fab up the twin turbo kit I may think about it.

I’m locked during shifts OFF, but TPS max load 40%.

I’m putting in some time this week to focus on the trans stuff. One thing that got me was setting the max RPM doesn’t seem to command a shift or is so delayed I bounce the rev limit before it shifts when in drive. I think I’m going to end up with something that says at 80% TPS shifts should finish around 5400rpm.

Trans tuning is going okay, but I’m surprised every time I make a change it does something I wouldn’t expect. I’m sticking with the no shift retard setting. I can really feel it pulls harder with the converter locked but it is a delicate dance to get it to not feel like something is going to break. I’d really like a base OEM tune to look at, like a Ford factory setup. Instead of starting from a performance tune.

Resurrecting this thread a bit... Was just combing through these older threads to see if I could learn anything and after comparing my shift retard settings mine are currently set at 2.0 degrees @ 82% load and 6 degrees @ 100% load. Everything else below that is 0 degrees retard. I'm almost certain I've never fooled with those setting so it's interesting to see mine so different from yours. Looking at my last logs it does drop 6 degrees during shifts, but those drops last a total of .33 seconds so pretty consistent.

I talked with Chris at A1 earlier this week about a transmission build this Winter... until then I don't think I'll take the chance of taking the retard out or using lockup though. :cautious:

Resurrecting this thread a bit... Was just combing through these older threads to see if I could learn anything and after comparing my shift retard settings mine are currently set at 2.0 degrees @ 82% load and 6 degrees @ 100% load. Everything else below that is 0 degrees retard. I'm almost certain I've never fooled with those setting so it's interesting to see mine so different from yours. Looking at my last logs it does drop 6 degrees during shifts, but those drops last a total of .33 seconds so pretty consistent.

I talked with Chris at A1 earlier this week about a transmission build this Winter... until then I don't think I'll take the chance of taking the retard out or using lockup though. :cautious:
I decided not to use lockup after 75% TPS and just have it in O/D now. I just installed a new engine so now I have to baby the transmission. I will re-enable retard before I get to WOT tuning.
Good thinking!

AS I mentioned earlier, I stay locked on both trucks after 35 mph (the red truck has a top notch transmission and converter, the white truck, just a valve body and a single-clutch). I use retard on the shifts to try to soften them a little more than to protect the driveline.

AS I mentioned earlier, I stay locked on both trucks after 35 mph (the red truck has a top notch transmission and converter, the white truck, just a valve body and a single-clutch). I use retard on the shifts to try to soften them a little more than to protect the driveline.
I would really like to see your PxS transmission setup one day on both trucks!

Back