SEP 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congrats Gumby "turbodgumby" Sanders (NL#2673)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

September 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Gumby "turbodgumby" Sanders (NLOC# 2673).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM hails from The Lone Star State. When we buy our trucks we usually sit in the garage thinking about what we want to do to our trucks or talking to our buddies about, "what if I did this, and what if I did that?" Gumby has been on the boards a short time and within that time we've seen his truck transform from a mild mannered Powerdyned L, to a turbo monster! And when Gumby posts up we all anxiously click on the thread to see what new mod he's installed now. Thanks for being a part of the Lightning community.

Read on to learn more about Gumby's truck and join in congratulating "turbodgumby" and his Lightning on being September's Truck of the Month!

l_011c699936164e478032b3d03b003dec.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

My old boss Angel Padilla of Automotive Specialties in San Antonio, TX had a black '95 he bought brand new and did the usual mods. exhaust, Powerdyne, 1.7 RR, converter. The truck sounded great and I was in love!!

l_eff82890ad6f413791c2c536a4e5e2e2.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I have had probably around ten Mustangs. I've owned a 1990 Police Intercepter Coupe (377w, Avenger Pro"R" Heads, Solid Roller, Black Diamond rally car chassis, Ed Quay Aluminum wing, Steeda 5 link, Steeda ultra lite wheels, Porsche brakes, etc) that I took with me to Germany. I road raced it there and ended up gaining the position of the D.A.R.E. car in Europe. Well long story made real short, I got divorced and the ex-wife got it and then sold it for $400. So I bought an '83 GT from a friend and it became a twin turbo 302 powered fun machine with all the goodies and during the end of the rebuild I found my Lightning in Jan 09....now the '83 GT is parted out and I'm loving the Lightning. I also own a Gen 2 as well....

11_car_side.jpg

21_FFW_PIC_2007.jpg

l_750421506bc04d09920e3161f081dd0f.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

When I bought the truck it had a Powerdyne, AFR 185s, 5.0 roller cam, long tube headers, 3inch. exhaust with Magnaflow x-flow muffler, TwEECer, Mark VIII fan, struckby controller, LFP long bars.

l_109b988b17b4428eacb19a1b3817167c.jpg

Soon after I bought the truck--less than a month--I bought new one piece headlights, Gen2 wheels, Nitto Drag Radials, lowering springs and rear shackles and the mods started like a land slide.

l_e89f9c1f965a475a829df73b8de4b323.jpg

I purchased a T-trim kit with Mondo BOV and Pickrel Bracketry from a member here and installed it with a Snow Methanol Kit. Then I bought a Cam Motion S/C cam and TFS "R" intake, 70mm throttle body with EGR delete plate during the second month of owning the truck. I also purchased a Cervini Cowl hood from a fellow NLOC member.

l_6d5c095451d94e2190131b7530e897cd.jpg

This put me where I needed a fuel system, so I removed the front tank and added my own (cheap) version of a sump to the rear tank. I then removed all the factory fuel lines and rails; After that, I added black braided pro line (-10 feed, -6 return), Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, and 1/2" fuel Rails. At the same time, I installed the TFS intake, and new camshaft. Since I was in there I went ahead and threw on an Air to Air intercooler (31x12x4) with aluminum 3" piping and Tial 50mm BOV to vent excess pressure when I let off the gas.

That setup was great, but only lasted a month :scared1:! I then set out on a trade with my TwEECer tuner Giddyup, who has become a great friend, for his turbo kit and Cam Motion hydraulic roller camshaft that was made for the new combo. So as of now the parts list goes as follows:

174,000 mile stock shortblock, transmission, rear axle
AFR 185 heads
1.6 Roller Rockers
Cam Motion custom grind hydraulic roller camshaft
TFS"R" Polished intake with 1" spacer
75mm BBK Polished Throttle body, EGR delete plate
1/2" fuel rails,
60# injectors
Aeromotive Fuel System
Battery Relocation to the bed
MarkVIII electric Fan with Struckby Controller
130amp alt with Struckby wires, overdrive pulley
Underdrive crank pulley with Cobra waterpump pulley
Heat Buster 4" radiator
CXRacing 31x12x4 A/A intercooler
Fabbed by me--3" aluminum coldside piping
Tial 50mm BOV
PTS turbo kit
Precision 76GTSH turbo
Turbonetics 38mm Waste Gate
3" downpipe, Magnaflow muffler, dual 4" Magnaflow tips exit behind the tires
TwEECer--tuned by Giddyup (trans control)
Pro M MAF Conversion
PMAS Blow thru MAF Meter
PI 3000 stall triple disc converter
WEGO IV datalogging wideband
MSD 6AL, MSD HVC2 coil, Ford Racing wires
Glowshift Boost, trans temp gauges, Cobalt FP gauge.
triple a-pillar gauge pod
HD-radio - with all the stereo stuff to go with it.
Chromoly 6 point roll bar w/ acr billet swing out bars

l_bb9bf03ea93bc260d08fc94ed5393d66.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Many races upsetting the "new" SRT Challenger, Corvette, Mustang, and Camaro owners. I love the look on their faces when they get beat by a truck. But my favorite is a recent race against a Porsche Boxter. We raced at least 12 times before getting on the highway, each time me with the win. We get on the highway and I stretch out away from him when he finally gets up next to me, after I have let off, he then proceeds to rip his rear veiw mirror off and starts to beat his dash with it!! That was hilarious!!!

l_4b2858fa081f344e172f2880ddcafb05.jpg

l_5a798f97bd0d404b924e41970d499aad.jpg

l_2e1af5ba1d10433fb400cf1b037e999d.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I am a father of 4, I rodeoed professionally for almost 15 years ( All Around--bulls, bareback, saddlebronc), I was also a Soldier in the Army for many years. I have lived all over the world. I also built race cars in San Antonio before I moved to the Beaumont, TX area for a Job at a Synethetic Rubber plant as a MillWright.

driving_3.jpg

l_47e4d929da423861305f65f9708605f6.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I became a member and user of NLOC in January of this year when I purchased my Lightning from a member.

SANY0724.JPG

SANY0725.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

How about a more up to date tech section with newer-technology tricks!!

l_f247511534ae41c3a7a43a58f70d5ab1.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

My Rodeo Friends called me Gumby for many years due to my flexibility. So when I turbod my Mustang the name turbodgumby came about and have used the screen name since.

SANY0750.JPG

l_0a05ab5990ee4bfb81504faf55a3d8df.jpg

l_2f41cad55b584a7aa87038f482691a31.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Future plans include building my DART block to more cubic inches, Installing a TH400 trans, and building a bigger turbo kit.

l_a40b9a8b6a3c4590b509c582b8763d8f.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together??

I would like to thank everyone for the help and knowledge they freely give out. But most of all I would like to thank Giddyup for all the time he spent tuning my truck. He made a road trip from Louisianna just to help me line the truck out!!

l_d8538943d7ea4c6aba5d57b22b96f1ac.jpg

Congratulations to Gumby and his 1995 black Gen 1 Truck of the Month, September 2009!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Gumby. You have done more with your truck in a few months than I have in 12 years. Good Job!

Gumbo,

Congrats!!!!!!!!! :eek:ldtu: :eek:ldtu:

Cant wait to see it run In Oct. So get you chit together and get er done.

Dont need no bunk Knee excuess's!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Congrats Gumby,

What is the long,flat,rectangular thing that looks like there is hoses connected to on the drivers side of the Trick Flow upper intake?? Intercooler of some sort?

Congrats Gumby,

What is the long,flat,rectangular thing that looks like there is hoses connected to on the drivers side of the Trick Flow upper intake?? Intercooler of some sort?

Thats the Gumbo cooker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If you look real hard you will see it come off the back side of the Turbo. That is the Down Pipe for the Turbo that route's the Exhaust gases to the Exhaust system.

Hope that help's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back