SCTx2 and MAFIA ?

moonuser

Friend just bought from his tuner a SCT X2 and then during the dyno run.. he wants to also sell a Mafia, Why?

Does the X2 not have enough parameters to be one self contained unit or what is it?

Better device ---maybe, what are you using??

Last edited:
If the "SCT X2" referred to is the hand held SCT XCal2 device, that is an entirely separate thing from the "MAFIA" maf extender.

The MAFIA is usually used to "extend" the range of the maf meter when the airflow though the maf exceeds a certain airflow value (as read as a voltage input by the computer). I don't believe the "end user capability" of the SCT Xcal2 is capable of properly adjusting for the MAFIA unit, but your tuner can properly adjust for it.

As said above the tuner feels that the maf is or is near pegging.This also needed beyond X2.The maf will go lean and then BOOM!It is needed when power starts gettin close to 400+rwhp after adding pullies,porting etc.Worth every penny imo.

Worth every penny imo.

I agree on the worth value but to my original post, it just makes me wonder why a $399 X2 doesn't have all the parameters available ?? and have to buy an additional $175 unit?

Kind of wonder why pay $399 that doesn't get the total job done.....you know what I mean?

I don't mind paying for what ever my L needs, but like my gas smile-age.... if it needs it, I feed it.

Last edited:
I guess it's me just venting about my bro paying $399 for something thats not complete ....... without at least telling him ""Hey, keep your wallet open, you might need some more expensive stuff".

As far as i know there isn't any tuner that extends maf sensor and tunes there's no other choice.And $150 is what most tuners charge for a mafia.i have the new sct x3 and it doesn't do it either.

You wanna go fast, then you gotta pay - a handheld tuner has NO WAY of extending the range of the MAF - had the shop let the vehicle go out the door with a pegged MAF, you'd be complaining even more because of severe engine damage. From a tuning perspective, you never know a MAF will peg until you get it on the dyno.

Same thing happens all the time, not only for MAFs, but also for fuel systems, etc. The other alternative to having it NOT peg the MAF and NOT spend the money is to decrease boost or de-tune it. But then that defeats the purpose of going fast.

I think the shop did a big favor for the vehicle owner and did exactly the right thing.

Don

The mafia is sometimes needed to keep the maf from pegging. It is one more part to fail, but they do work well in some cases. A larger maf housing or a sensor with more range is another way to prevent mag pegging.

For what its worth, When I talked to Tim @ Modular Powerhouse about tuning my L he said he prefers tuning with a MAFia over a bigger MAF. Why I have no idea.

It isnt necessarily bad hardware Justin. Most excellant thread and here is my take on it. I believe many ditch the Lightning 90 mm mass air meter prematurely. Tuners like to sell parts for varying reasons, under certain circumstances new bigger MAFs do not need to go on trucks with certain combinations. Example is my own truck. It is an '01 with 4lb lower, eaton ported blower, LFP air filter, tuned by myself with a Tweecer tuning device.
I have done much data logging and find that with my tune I had to pull fuel from the mass air function to lean to the correct A/F which is quite common, but reduces the range at the top end of the meter at the same time. To counter act that the MAF meter's range can be extended up from the preset of 4.78V to just under 5V in the EEC but that will only have a negligible effect overall. With my individual tune, the meter is just beginning to peg on a very cold day at the last couple hundred rpm before shift point, however without any leaning on the wideband air/fuel. Many tuners would see this case as a candidate for a bigger MAF, when in reality the stocker should stay on the truck. Another thing worth mentioning here, is fueling the engine with the "WOT Fuel Multiplier vs RPM" function. It is generally considered taboo on a mass air vehicle to add fuel by this means because it adds fuel by multiplying a coefficient against the stabilized fuel tables and is rpm based not based by the air flow needs of the engine. Small adjustments can be made using this method in lieu of swapping out the meter and it is perfectly OK to do that. The only down side is fueling is now accomplished in a less exacting science. I have been adding fuel this way on a much greater scale with EEC IV speed density systems for years with very good results. With MAF vehicles adding fuel by this method should be done with care and definately not indicated for all. I'm not advocating to not buy a bigger air meter but merely pointing out that in lieu of that it can be done safely on certain combos that are nearing the peak of the meter.

Steve

Last edited:
I agree on the worth value but to my original post, it just makes me wonder why a $399 X2 doesn't have all the parameters available ?? and have to buy an additional $175 unit?

Kind of wonder why pay $399 that doesn't get the total job done.....you know what I mean?

I don't mind paying for what ever my L needs, but like my gas smile-age.... if it needs it, I feed it.

It's not a matter of the X2 not having the right "parameters", it has to do with the physical ability of the stock mass air meter to measure the incoming volume of air. In 60º weather my MAF voltage was around 4.9 volts with just a 4lb lower and a ported eaton. I made 409hp with that combo. What mods does your friend have? Usually once you step up to a ported blower it's a good idea to upgrade the MAF or get a MAFia. The tuner probably saw that your friend's MAF voltage was close to being maxed out at 5V so he went ahead and asked about the MAFia. IMO he should have explained the situation and why he needs it before trying to sell it.

Back