Roll Cage / Harness bar info

S

Spike Engineering

Since there are questions every now and then regarding roll cages and harness bars, I'd thought I'd start the thread here. Here are photos of Ruslow's cage.

gutted.jpg

00007.jpg

00005.jpg

med_p8071083.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have pix (prior to April) of an installed harness bar that will pass a tech inspection. It's currently in the design phase.

Spike

[This message has been edited by Spike Engineering (edited 12-17-2001).]

yes the bar is in the design stage but only because I am waiting for a truck to show up so I can measure some distances.Which I will have the first of the yr.But you still need to run the harness belts thru the seat to pass tech.Any good tech will not pass it unless that is done.

The pics of the tubing that I used is all 2 inch DOM for the difference in weight I can not see giving weight up for safety.There is almost 110 feet of tubing in that truck,believe it or not.Stan

PS and I have NO prblem passing any tech that I have been thru.In fact they are amazed that I built the cage to fit in the truck and still kept all the functions of it as well as comforts too.

Ruslow,

I was thinking about aftermarket seats the other night (adjustable ones.)

How about this for design #2:

Wouldn't it be easy to remove the stock seats prior to an event and bolt in the harness bar and seats to a custom mounting bracket. Thus, cutting up the stock seats would be required. Plus, the mount points for the harness bar and belts would be more exposed for installation and inspection.

Spike

(I had to remove the bench seat a couple times on my 85 F250. It was a hassle since I did it alone.)

Spike
Thanks for the pics, It looks like I might need a rol cage for drag racing this season. Your pics will help me alot.

For drag racing do I need the center bar, from looking at the rules it doesn't look like I do. Are your side bars removeable, and is it mounted to the frame?

Thanks
Don

------------------
12.454 @ 109.49MPH on stock F1's
38-34-6448.jpg

DON for drag racing we should be able to get away with just a 6 point cage for the 11's.

So we would need the two bars in the rear, the hoop behind the seats, and two bars coming foward on an angle. we wouldn't need that side bar like Ruslow has. His cage would probably pass tech for a 9 second lightning.

REALLY NICE STAN. who did you have do the install? I'm going to need to get one myself also this upcoming season. Do you run any type of bed cover on the back of your truck though? Maybe a custom fit leather one in red would be the way to go with that.

------------------
POWER SURGE PERFORMANCE RULES!!!
15-543-3978.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RTKILLA:
...REALLY NICE STAN. who did you have do the install? I'm going to need to get one myself also this upcoming season. Do you run any type of bed cover on the back of your truck though? Maybe a custom fit leather one in red would be the way to go with that.

</font>
Stan design, built and installed it himself. He had someone else do the work on the seats.

Spike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RTKILLA:
DON for drag racing we should be able to get away with just a 6 point cage for the 11's.

So we would need the two bars in the rear, the hoop behind the seats, and two bars coming foward on an angle. we wouldn't need that side bar like Ruslow has. His cage would probably pass tech for a 9 second lightning.

</font>

Hey Joe
I just talked to a guy at NHRA he told me we only need a 5 Point roll bar, but rhe 6th bar wouldn't hurt.

I might have someone who could build us some bars. He has a Lightning and posts on F150. He might be able to do a group purchase thing for us. When I get some more info I will let you know.

Where would you put the fifth bar then, I think I would just get the 6th bar installed.

Stan you should work up a 6point cage package for the L owners on here. We could really use them. cage, plastic windows, everything.

------------------
15-543-3978.jpg

I would like to.but I need to get realist pricing as far as what YOU would pay for something like that.The rear slider is still functional as you can see the side windows of it are lexan thou.

Also my bars are 2inch the difference in weight does not justify the use of the smaller bars.I can bend 1.75 tubing easy compared to the 2 inch stuff.The problem with 2 inch is it getts tight down around the bends so you can still use the package tray behind the seat.

Don, the bars go to the cab mounts in the floor and also a dash bar is installed BEHIND the dash that follows the factory bar.That ties all the forward bars together,the rear facing bars do go to the frame.And the side bars are removable.Stan

I did make up 1 extra bar that had the braces going out the back of the cab.Took it to the Mid America Shelby meet to sell and almost had to give it away.IF I were to build a complete kit it would sell for around grand or more because of the work involved in getting the angles rite so it FITS the interior rite.Plus you would still have to weld it in,and do MINOR fitting. The one like mine I would charge atleast 2500 plus materials.I had the side bar brackets wire edm'ed and they ran me 150 each and there are 4 of them in there.Stan

STAN:

If I'm paying a grand for a damn Converter, then its worth it for this cage.

I would rather have a 6 point, I think it look symetrical, and cooler. But I would like it to be as incospicous as possible!

Stan: with how fast everyone is going oin these trucks you should be able to sell them! I do think it would be cool if they where bolt in side bars, but you can only do so much right. Seriouslly figure it out what it would cost to get a kit made up and I'll try and round up some people who are going to need them. The more we can get the easier it will be for you to be confident on selling these.

Don, lets get started! Now I just need to figure out what to do with that damn bed cover?

------------------
15-543-3978.jpg

Back