Replacement transmission vs modifying stock E4OD

We did 1 outting but was at lower boost and bogged my motor when locking. My trans guy called me when saw last outtin vid said lock that up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fwiw I kno few gen 2 guys makin 9 sec runs and doin so unlocked. Why I tried

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agree, as soon as the engine exceeds the stall speed you are loosing ET if the convertor is not locked.

lock it in 2nd and you will see an ET gain

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. With that logic,going to a lower stall speed would better your 60'. I can see a mph gain at the big end,maybe.

Steve said to lock it after it exceeds the stall speed. If your not locking it after it is above the stall speed your just blowing through it and creating heat. It should lock in 2nd gear (after its above a certain RPM/MPH) and then unlock on the shift, then relock after it shifts into 3rd (I like to have the lockup delayed after the shift to prevent a double shift feeling)

Some are not locking at much due to turbos.

and why is that? Is a turbo motor something different then a supercharged, NOS, or N/A motor?

- - - Updated - - -

Fwiw I kno few gen 2 guys makin 9 sec runs and doin so unlocked. Why I tried

way back in the day I use to run without locking the converter but if your going to do that you need to have a non lockup converter built for it. Look what happened with the guys running No Prep when they went to a lockup converter......... Went way faster!

- - - Updated - - -

We did 1 outting but was at lower boost and bogged my motor when locking.

so you can either turn the power up so it doesn't bog or raise the lockup rpm/mph so it doesn't bog.

My 95 is basically stock. Full Bassani w/off road pipe, power and amp pulley set, 1.7 roller rockers, 460 air inlet ( for what that's worth) . I have the B&M shift improver for tow and RV installed and it gives me good firm shifts. I tried the street / strip spring with the B&M kit and without a loose convertor, it's too harsh. The 93 has aluminum heads, long tubes and Vortech SC, Hughes 2600 rpm convertor and the B&M tow and RV kit. The 93 trans shifts good and solid but it hasn't been really hammered on so maybe the jury is still out on it. The 93 is the original trans. with 135,000 miles.

It’s not shifting, it’s just locking the converter preventing you a of power loss and heat.

Lots of cool good info in this thread. Thanks. Are the last half dozen or so posts all about racing applications?
A TC can be installed and just run with it correct? All these posts about locking and unlocking have got me confused

You don’t have an option without a transmission controller, no matter what TC you go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of cool good info in this thread. Thanks. Are the last half dozen or so posts all about racing applications?
A TC can be installed and just run with it correct? All these posts about locking and unlocking have got me confused

Yes, they are all about racing and getting the fastest time possible.. But our trucks do have locking torque converters, so you do need to make sure what ever you go with is a lock up convertor .. Now as for transmission set ups, I have E4OD with a diesel clutch basket, Kevlar clutches, a Punisher street valve body, and a Art Carr 2400rpm stall convertor in my truck, which work great in a stock, or slightly above stock truck.. 'It's for sale cheap by the way" if you're close to Ky..

Last edited:
Usually if you have the ability to lock it up at the proper time you should be quicker. I read a while back some gen2 guys locking 1st gear as well to help 60'. Myself I try to lock it up as soon as possible in 2nd and 3rd.

Yes, they are all about racing and getting the fastest time possible.. But our trucks do have locking torque converters, so you do need to make sure what ever you go with is a lock up convertor .. Now as for transmission set ups, I have E4OD with a diesel clutch basket, Kevlar clutches, a Punisher street valve body, and a Art Carr 2400rpm stall convertor in my truck, which work great in a stock, or slightly above stock truck.. 'It's for sale cheap by the way" if you're close to Ky..
Not to cut in front of "Kachow" poster but I'm actually choosing between two. One recommended via Circle D the other recommended via PI so I assume they are recommending the proper lock up converter.

I'm not very near KY (north Florida) but it does sound like your unit has most of not more of what I'm looking to do to mine. Punisher and TC are in my plans

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My gt500 and another gt500 with a 4r100 I locked the convertor during the 2-3 shift and that kept it from bogging. Both used the PCS trans controller. Other guys I raced with always opposed me locking the convertor but I proved over and over it was usually worth 1-2 tenths and 3-4 mph. These cars did have the baddest BTS built 4r100s and PI convertors.

My best pass with the 4r100 was an 8.58 at 163 mph, spent 15k on a bad *** th400 and bolt together convertor and lost roughly 120 lbs and ran a best of 8.53 @ 158 :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

You asked for an opinion, so I will offer this.

A. Forget A

B. B. Take it to a really good transmission shop near you and just ask for a heavy duty rebuild.

Our trucks are built so fast and fun. Keep it simple. My only complaint with our E4 was that it did a lot of hunting for gears. it got a little annoying. So, I replaced the rear gear to 3.55. Truck still runs super fast but less gear hunting.

Back