Rear frame gusset supports

Which allows road dirt, salt and other crap to migrate between the plates and chew at the steel.
You're assuming 1) that weld will hermetically seal between the 2 plates, and 2) that weld is the ONLY thing that will seal between the plates. I don't think either of those is true. I don't think anyone is likely to get a perfectly-sealed weld on a rusty 25-year-old C-channel truck frame, working with the truck still assembled on the frame. Maybe you can & did, but I don't think most people can. And It only takes a few shots of common rubberized undercoating to seal that area. If you simply follow Ford's maintenance recommendations, and flush the entire underbody with clean water 2x a year, it probably wouldn't even need to be fully-sealed to last forever (or at least, longer than gasoline-powered vehicles will be legal to drive on dirty, salty, crappy roads).

(click this text)

But that's just my opinion (and Ford's).

Ford only partially welded it because that's all the strength it needed and doing more costs time and materials, which chews into profits.

Even if the weld isn't properly done, used way too much heat, and thus ends up very brittle, it's still a helluva lot stronger than air. So, the idea that a partial weld is stronger than a full weld doesn't stand up to any kind of rational scrutiny.

Fully welded is stronger than "spot" welded. Period.

I agree with that. So many times I see spot welds fail and have to repair them on all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Ford only partially welded it because that's all the strength it needed and doing more costs time and materials, which chews into profits.

Even if the weld isn't properly done, used way too much heat, and thus ends up very brittle, it's still a helluva lot stronger than air. So, the idea that a partial weld is stronger than a full weld doesn't stand up to any kind of rational scrutiny.

Fully welded is stronger than "spot" welded. Period.

Can't argue with that logic!

I’m not sure if I’d seal it or not…..

I’m not sure if you could totally seal it anyway because of the holes that go through it and the frame where the shock mount bolts

I’m not sure if I’d seal it or not…..

I’m not sure if you could totally seal it anyway because of the holes that go through it and the frame where the shock mount bolts

Just like setting a new window... you don't flex wrap the bottom of the window....I definitely wouldn't seal the bottom of it....

"you're assuming 1) that weld will hermetically seal between the 2 plates, and 2) that weld is the ONLY thing that will seal between the plates. I don't think either of those is true. I don't think anyone is likely to get a perfectly-sealed weld on a rusty 25-year-old C-channel truck frame, working with the truck still assembled on the frame. Maybe you can & did, but I don't think most people can. And It only takes a few shots of common rubberized undercoating to seal that area. If you simply follow Ford's maintenance recommendations, and flush the entire underbody with clean water 2x a year, it probably wouldn't even need to be fully-sealed to last forever (or at least, longer than gasoline-powered vehicles will be legal to drive on dirty, salty, crappy roads)."

You're assuming I welded it, and never washed my underbody, which, btw, still didn't prevent a $2000 rear bedside/fender replacement at age 20. I just stated its a problematic area for a serious corrosion problem that Ford could have done a better job of prevention. Its obvious they really don't care about prevention of rust and corrosion otherwise fenders and the like wouldn't have problems with dirt induced rot. Show me an early 2000's NE US owned Escape with an original set of rear wheel wells intact and I'll show you a unicorn...

Back