PSA: Factory Wheel Paint Code Found

redlightning408

Formerly svt721
I decided to have my wheels resprayed a couple weeks ago - as a stickler to originality, I couldn't live with powder coat not matching the center caps exactly. After exhaustive searching, I couldn't find the definitive paint code Ford used for the Gen 1 Lighting wheels. My body guy was able to find color chips for Ford wheel paint and found the exact match color (based on one of my original finish wheels).

The color is BASF Light Argent Metallic, Code YFK. The silver uses a very coarse metallic flake and has an incredible pop in the sun. Letting them harden for another week and I'll post pics with the new Toyo's mounted up.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 31
Unfortunately I don't know - the picture is from my body guy (his hand) when he took my wheel to the paint store. He did say that the color chips are from a 2004 RM Diamont paint book if that's of any help.

IDK the history of this search for paint, but has anyone ever tried DupliColor Aluminum Cast Coat? I'm not a real stickler, but it looks so close to the original engine, wheel, & bumper paint that I've used it to replace that I assumed it was identical to the Ford color. It's common & affordable, so it wouldn't be hard to test. And even if it doesn't match L wheels, it's still very useful, so not wasted money for whoever tries it.

Unfortunately I don't know - the picture is from my body guy (his hand) when he took my wheel to the paint store. He did say that the color chips are from a 2004 RM Diamont paint book if that's of any help.
I asked some paint and body folks I know from another forum, they mentioned YFK is all we need, that number below is the "RM" code and not what is used when you ask someone to mix the paint.

Back