Plug repair harness fms

I'm trying to repair the harness I bought a while back. It's an fms harness. I've cut the wires at the plug and labeled them. I even ohmed everything to make sure everything else is good. It's a really clean harness but that one plug was corroded. I figured out the ecu plug on the ecu is the same so I went to the junk yard and destroyed the box getting the plug alone and in unharmed condition. I pulled it out of a black truck identical to mine but without ground effects. That was weird because I hardly see any trucks like mine let alone find one in the junkyard. Anyways I'm wondering how to approach getting the rest of the board off without damaging the pins. Also another issue is the Amber colored filler that was in the fms plug. I'm assuming it's some sort of weatherproofing for the pins. Does anyone know if there is something I can use to seal this thing up so it won't happen again? Is there an issue with bending the pins straight in order to gain more material to attach the wires to if I were to just cut the board off? All help is appreciated.

Tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full...

Assume you're talking about a female 60-pin connector that doesn't have any weatherproofing on it? If so, electrical supply places carry professional quality weatherizing goop, or your can buy "liquid electrical tape" at Home Despot or Lowes. Either one should work.

You guys are the best! I will pick some up tomorrow and post some pics. Hopefully I can figure out why I can't post any. Thanks again!

I used a dremel tool to cut the junk board into smaller block sections, so you only have to fight with 2 or 4 pins at a time, instead of the whole connector.

I was thinking about using a dremel to cut all the exposed solder off but I like your idea better. I'm headed to the store in a few so I will probably have it all knocked out by the evening.....

It was a difficult task for me but I got it done. YouTube makes everything LOOK easy. uploadfromtaptalk1431625629781.jpg You can tell I suck at this because instead of using labels I made my own with electric tape. Then I messed up by not putting the heat shrink on first so some of the tape is still there. uploadfromtaptalk1431625794068.jpg I had two wires that were touching so I peeled some of the goop back and gave them some room. Tested everything and it's good. If not I was going to eliminate the plug all together and just splice it to together. uploadfromtaptalk1431625935737.jpg I'm working on incorporating the fms harness into the factory injector harness by removing the factory injector wires along with the smog and solenoid plugs. I believe I have cut the right wires and I'm wondering about a few plugs that have wires that jump from one plug to the other. What can be removed?uploadfromtaptalk1431626167809.jpg

Any electronic supplier should have Solder wick, it looks like copper wire mesh and comes in a roll.
all you do is heat it up like when you solder, but it sucks up all the solder so the pins will just fall out afterwards.

here is a example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ft-2-0mm-...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43dbf43082

That is slicker than a minnow's....thing. I haven't done a lot of soldering in years, but always had to use a solder sucker to do it. That is much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Any electronic supplier should have Solder wick, it looks like copper wire mesh and comes in a roll.
all you do is heat it up like when you solder, but it sucks up all the solder so the pins will just fall out afterwards.

here is a example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ft-2-0mm-...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43dbf43082

That is slicker than a minnow's....thing. I haven't done a lot of soldering in years, but always had to use a solder sucker to do it. That is much better.

If you can still find an open Radio Shack, they sell desoldering wick. I'm lucky in that 2 are still in my area. If not their online store is still open.

I used some wick I got from an electric store but it didn't absorb anything under the pin or inside it. Just around the surface. Also there was some kind of ring that was I'm sure inside the green board that held onto the pin and that was a pain to get off. It was like fine wire but like a microscopic band. I had to heat up the pin and pull it off with needle nose pliers. Cutting away everything with the dremel is what got things moving. Also does anyone have ideas about what to do with the wires I'm removing? All the egr and solenoid stuff. I'd like to finish this project one day haha

Back