Phenolic spacers

bodawg

I am in the process of manufacturing some phenolic spacers to go between the upper intake and supercharger. Only making 5, and it looks like three are currently spoken for. I'd prefer to keep them local to the NW guys, since we get the shaft on everything else. I will be providing the spacer itself as well as bolt spacers for the front two bolts, all made from FR-4 (G-10) 1/2" phenolic. Tentative schedule is to have them completed by this weekend.

I will update this thread at the end of the week with updated timing and price. Price will be significantly less than another spacer that is on the market.

If there is enough demand, I may be able to do another batch.

Last edited:
bodawg,

I'm interested, but how do you deal with the EGR tube?

Do you just stick a screwdriver or prybar in it and bend it up?

NakMan

they're ready

Okay, the first batch is complete and I installed one on my truck last night. Using a Snap-On infrared temperature sensor after my drive to work this morning (less than 10 miles, mostly stop and go on I-84), the blower housing was between 127 and 135 degrees, upper plenum was hovering between 78 and 80 degrees. Outside air temp this morning was in the mid 60s. As you can see, that is a huge reduction in upper plenum temp.

I will take some more measurements this afternoon after driving in the heat and post them to this thread.

The EGR tube is the least easy part of the installation. I removed mine completely and took a vice to the two major bends, basically opening them up further. The tube is actually a lot tougher than it looks, but a little time and a couple of test fits yielded good results. Once bent, install on the header/exhaust manifold first, but only engage about two threads. Position the other end on the EGR valve and then tighten everything down.

Price is $45. This will include the phenolic intake spacer, two phenolic spacers for the front mounting bolts, and mounting hardware (longer bolts all around). You will need to supply an additional gasket (p/n: XL3Z-9L437-CA), available at your local parts department for about $3.50.

Post up if there is more interest. Should be no problem manufacturing more of them.

I have one thanks BoDawg Although I have a broken *** truck cant use it but I have it and position is 9/10ths of the law!:tu:

NakMan, let me know when you want to pick it up. Anytime this weekend works for me. And yeah, that EGR tube is one tough mofo. I expected to bend it easily. I was wrong :hh:

Ron, hope you actually use it. . . sounds like your truck could turn into just about anything (motor wise) right now.

If anybody wants pictures, send me an email and I will get them out to you tomorrow.

BoDawg that is true I am torn turbo Navi motor or built 5.4 sohc long block with a kenne bell? I want a 10 sec truck I just dont know how I want to get there yet. Nice work on the spacer though! :tu:

bodawg,

I'm outta town this weekend.

Maybe an evening next week or possibly the weekend after (the 26th)?

NakMan

Either engine would be awesome. I think the SOHC KB arrangement would be the better daily driver based on the nature of its output, but I also think it would be harder on the tranny than the the turbo DOHC. But then again, I could be totally wrong :? I think the biggest determining factor will be how much time you want to invest in tuning it. By the time your engine is built, I think a lot of the tuners will have good programs and tweaks for the KB (or Works 140). The turbo Navi would be more like starting from scratch.

Thanks for the :tu: I'm pretty happy with how the spacers turned out. Now I just need to get the word out that I am making them without violating the board rules. I don't mind saving people a few bucks and getting them a quality part :tug:

NakMan said:
bodawg,

I'm outta town this weekend.

Maybe an evening next week or possibly the weekend after (the 26th)?

NakMan

Whenever is convenient for you, except for Thursday. I will hang on to one for you. What part of town are you in?

NakMan, just let me know what is convenient for you. No problem holding one for you.

32V L, just let me know when you can pick one up.

I am located in SE Portland, and work in NW industrial area, so there should be a convenient location for everyone.

After you two, and coldie on the WashLO forum, this batch is sold out. If you guys know anybody that might want them, refer them to me. If I get enough people interested, I will make another batch.

Bodawg I think that you need to look at making some spacers between the blower and the lower intake! I think that the air temps will drop even more on the inlet air temp as well as the discharge temp!

Funny you mention that. 32V L and I were just discussing that yesterday when he picked up his spacer. It would take a little while to do the design work for them (I like to get everything CNCed), and they would require quite a bit more material, but it is definitely a possibility. If anyone has a gasket I could use for meaurements, I could get started on it fairly soon. Also, a blower and upper intake would be nice to use for measurements as well, to make sure I get maximum wall thickness on the part for strength.

Anyone that has any interest in this, let me know.

Also, does anybody know what kind of hood clearance issues might arise from doing this? Maybe I'll pull some play-doh out of the closet and use it to check.

EasterIsland has already done this he has both and I believe there were 0 problems with clearance he used 1/2 material on both. Bill has a lower intake manifold, I can give you the blower off mine.

I thought EasterIsland used 1/4" on his spacer :? Bring your blower and gasket to work and I will pick them up when I pick up the t-bars. I will double check clearance to make sure 1/2" won't be a problem.

Thanks for the p/n for the oil removal filter. I picked up the one that is a size bigger (to empty the bowl less often) and got it installed this weekend. Much better now.

Hey bodawg,

I left you a PM on Wednesday concerning my picking up the spacer from you. Did you get it?

Is the time/place acceptable?

NakMan

Back