Phase I - 9.75 Rearend installation

mkfoxxx

Well, last saturday I started my first step in actually converting my truck over. So, using an engine hoist and my hitch we raised the back end of my truck just enough to work underneath it. After bout 45 mins into we found ourselfs struggling with the drive shaft and emergency brake. We had the shocks disconnected but that was about it. I had the bolts off from the rearend but I couldnt get it actually disconnected...is there a trick or do I just need to man up?!? Also, whats the trick to the emergency brake cable? I mean I personally spent 45 mins wrestling with the damn cable to get it off so can someone help it out. Now, if ya'll can remember it rained hard for an hour or so and in that time I was under my truck dealing with the weather becasue i live in an apartment complex. We did this in my friends driveway in Ward, Ark. And, after some debating and arguing we decised to just put everything back together and start over next weekend. Im thinking I'll try to hobby shop on base but I really try to avoid that place at all cost. But it might be alil safer plus I might be short on help. Anywho, I know some of you have experence *Frank* so please grace me with your knowledge. Thanks

After reading that, I do realize that I am horrible at typing but thats not why I'm posting again. Monday, I figured I'd might as well go to TA Performance and buy the 9.75 Rearend cover. So, it should be on my door step tomorrow.

its not that hard take the driveshaft undone at the pinion. remove the u bolts on the springs and disconnect the brake lines and shocks. a little motivation with a hammer will pull the tie bolts out of the blocks and spring pad. if you get back into it this weekend i could lend a hand if you need it im in beebe.

Yea, the question i have is HOW TO disconnect the brake lines?!? I feel like a retard trying to drive a rear wheel drive car backwards on the ice thru a maze...anyone following? haha

you have the regular f150 rear right now with drum brakes no? take the brakes apart and the emergency brake cable comes in the bottom and hooks to a brake pad.the other parts run to the back of the drum. if its like all other fords there is a plastic clip where it comes into the plate that has 3 flaps you have to push down to pull the cable out.

Last edited:
no...i have 4 wheel drisc brakes, identical as the lightning! even same 12 bolt rearend! Where is frank I know he knows!

I really don't remember how those lines came out. It seems like they were a little bit of a PITA from what I remember.

if you have the same rear why are you swapping the whole thing? a shaft and 3rd member swap is alot easier. :? i thought you were pulling a drum rear in favor of a disc.

I'll be honest, i didnt know how identical this rearend was to mine until last weekend. its the exact same..well on the outside. on the inside is where its different. gears, posi, 9.75, and not too sure what else. I'll be installing it tomorrow..well, i guess today now that it's 2am CST. I'll either be in cabot or on base doing the install, I'm thinking on base at the hobby shop because the wheather is suppose to suck. hey Sam, my cell is 501.773.9922

:bigtu: if my L wasnt in the middle of my garage id let you come over here. if you need anything give me a ring.

Well...we got it. It took me and another friend 5 solid hours. I almost felt like we both knew what we were doing because we hardly hit any problems. We had to make a minor modification to the custom bracket Frank made on the right shock mount. Everything bolted right up! The only problem now..which is not much but my ABS light is on. I switch sensors but still getting the light. I really tired right now so tomorrow I'm going to disconnect my battery and reset my compter. Hopefully that will fix it but if not I'll be posting a reply here. Thanks sam for the offer but thank god we didnt need it. btw, the drive shaft and brakes gave us no problems either..which was really wierd but its been an awesome weekend for me so far. Well, if you have any questions, let me know. I cant/dont know how to post pics but they are on my myspace. I forgot my camera but my phone takes awesome pics. Next...the transmission!

Last edited:
Well, just as I figured, resetting the comp DID NOT turn the light off. Its wierd because the light does not come on until I drive approx 75-100ft. And its everytime! I'll be researching it all day today but any info would help. Thanks!

Back