Painting a Rollpan

S

sstock

Hi Guys ang Gals, I ordered a glass rollpan today, and was thinking of giving a shot at painting it myself. My experience is limited and have never used anything other than lacquer. Paints now I hear have hardners basecoats etc. My question is what is the sequence of going about this. I can get it done for me for a C note, but thought it would be interesting to try,but will hire it out if enough of you think it is going to be a pain. I do know that the hardners have isocyanates in them and cannot be breathed. As a firefighter I've breathed enough smoke over the last 20 years and probably should let someone with breathing apparatus do it. I know, keep talking and I'll talk myself out of it, but your opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance, Steve NLOC#343

I think this sounds like a question for Trace... but it'll probably be tomorrow (Saturday) before she reads the board again. I'll let her know the question is here, though.

Later!
Jeff S.

First you will need a air compressor;) Paint gun etc. You will need to take some 220 sand paper and sand the area to be painted whip clean. You then will need to get some sandable primer (bodyshop supply store) mix the primer base with hardner and reducer. Spray on primer let dry over night to give time to shink. Sand primer with 220 and 320 sand paper optional is wet sanding with 1500. Then you need to get the paint code off the door tag buy the paint mix with hardner, reducer and flex. Spray on paint let dry. Use 1500 sandpaper to sand out any dirt in the basecoat. Then spray on clear, let dry and wetsand again and polish. This is just the way I do it, other people have different ways. I did not go into great detail but you get what it is going to take. If you can get it shot for $100, let them do it. Getting the materials for the job will cost you at the very least half that. Hope this helps

Shawn
94 #2703
NLOC #387

Back