Open Track Challenge?

I got it today also. I checked into it a few months ago (prior email) and noticed that Lightning was listed in the "examples" for classes (Acura Integra, Dodge Neon,  Ford Lightning, Ford Focus, Ford Contour, Honda Civic, Mazda Miata, Mazda RX7, Porsche 914,). Stan, you should do well!

The only downside for me is the mileage. Of course that's not a big deal for you, but I'm trying to keep it low on mine. That week alone would add at least 2000 miles to the odometer, not including the stress. Hmmm.. maybe I'll have to save for a new motor from Mike.

Spike

Hell, I got the email and I don't even own a Lightning! ;-( ... just driving a lowly 5.4L x-cab Lariat ...for now...

What's up, Stan ? Sounds like your busy with your race preps for next year. I hope to meet up with you at Hallett soon and chat.

Yes, George... my stock options need to take off ... btw, that "Higher"/on-board vid ROCKS !

Ronald

I'm thinking about it, too. Problem is that it covers the World Ford Challenge dates.
frown.gif

Looks like either the Contour or the Probe would be matched against the Lightning...

"Acura Integra, Dodge Neon, Ford Lightning, Ford Focus, Ford Contour, Honda Civic, Mazda Miata, Mazda RX7, Porsche 914"

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 12-20-2001).]

Jeff,

If you did the Open Track Challenge, what car would you run, since both are in the same class?

George

Actually, after reading further, the Probe is in T3. Given that, it becomes a toss-up. I'd probably run the Contour since it is in T4 if I wanted to be competitive and - at least stock - it outclasses all the other compacts in the class. If I do the event I'll probably do it in the Probe and not care about being in the hunt. It won't hurt me much to bend the Probe.
wink.gif

I seriously doubt either car would be much competition for a Lightning, at least in their current trim. Actually, I don't think there's much chance anything in T4 - unless some turbocharged Integras show up - will stand much of a chance against the Lightnings. The person who did the classification obviously doesn't know the truck's capabilities.

Later!
Jeff

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 12-20-2001).]

Actually he does. How ya been Jeff?

Monroe
99 Red Tow Truck
#311 OTC Unlimited Pony Car

Monroe,

Did you do that?? Have the Lightnings put in against the Neons and Civics?? Honestly, unless some really hot-rodded examples show up, I think the Lightnings outclass the other vehicles in that group.

Just my .02, obviously.

Are you running in this event?? Haven't seen you in FOREVER.

Later!
Jeff

No, I had no part in the classing efforts. If any L's do show up, I'd expect them to own the class.

I'm gonna be there. I'm in the process of buying the 96 WC Mustang LG won the championship with that year. It won't be as hot as it was in race trim, but should still have about 500hp and weigh about 2900 lbs wet with driver.

I'm tired of blowing modular engines up
wink.gif

You can buy Windsor parts anywhere.

Me and a couple of friends are gonna share costs. Should be a good time.

Plus the class winners the first year have the trophy named after them. From now on the unlimited pony car trophy will be named after our team... I hope.

If you don't do the whole thing at least come out when we hit a track close to you out there.

Take Care

Monroe
99 Red Tow Truck
#311 OTC UPC competitor

You guys are making it tuff to decide! Do I want to go in excess of 160mph for 90 miles or do I want to race in the Challenge? Its going to be hard to choose.Stan

How many "mens clubs" in that 90 miles? There are bound to be a few on the OTC tour. At the very least we get to hit Vegas.

Just food for thought...
smile.gif

Monroe

PS the entrance fee goes up after the 1st of the year. Like they say on TV, act now for additional savings.

Monroe: Then I saw your Mustang at LG yesterday, Louis was talking about it.

You should do extremely well in that thing! Check out the "Street Legal" World Challenge Firebird that they are also building, very nice fabrication, gauge clusters, carbon fiber fuel cell area, etc..

If anything, the only car I'd worry about at the OTC would be a modified Dodge Neon. They can run low 14's on the motor with cams, etc. They handle incredible. A local guy in a modified Neon frequently gives a Z06 a run for its money at the time trials. And a stock suspensioned Lightning is nothing compared to a Z06..

Modified Civics, Miatas, 914s handle extremely well, but they just don't have the power needed for these road races/time trials. I think the Neon is the only car that handles extremely well and can make good power (low 14's is nothing to sneeze at when it turns extremely well...)

Fingers crossed, but I may compete in the OTC in an 02 Z06...though it has no trunk room, not sure how luggage/tires/tools are gonna work out. Loaded tire trailer I presume...

[This message has been edited by Dean! (edited 12-23-2001).]

Roughly....what will the weather temperatures be like starting at the first event, down south to the last venue ?

I've been in Texas all my life, just curious if it will "usually" be in the 60's or 70's or 100's, etc....

THANKS!

Good question. I expect it will be warm. I'll post the same question on the OTC board.

I'm anxious to see the car. Last I saw it he had pulled it in the building and had begun hunting parts.

I'm waiting for some money to clear. I should be able to square up with Lou in early Jan.

For a track trailer check out

http://www.southsporttrailers.com/track.html

Monroe

Back