Ok, we'll call it a draw (Z06 vs. Lightning)

V

Venom Lover

So, I was driving back from a day of drag racing my Z06 (sold a month ago) at Carlsbad. On the 5 North I see up ahead of me in the next lane over the unmistakable look of an F150, and given all the modifications, I was fairly sure it was a Lightning. Sure enough, I discovered it was when I pull up next to the guy.

We're cruising at around 60 mph, and he looks over and asks if that's my dial-in on the window (I still had the 12.90 in shoe polish). We give each other a nod, and he nails it. I'm barely able to keep even with him. We do a couple more roll-ons with a similar result. I was very impressed!
biggrin.gif

After the last run, the guy says "Damn, I just spilled my milk shake!" I felt bad for him, but he was still enjoying himself. Makes the drive on the 5 a lot more interesting!

Hey, on a more serious note, I'm thinking of buying a Lightning, as I need a truck to tow my snake and boat. What are stock '01s running in the 1/4???

------------------[*] '97 GTS Blue/White Stripes (Borla cat-backs & headers, smooth tubes, K&Ns, 3.55 gear, 456 rwhp, 490 rwft-lbs, 11.7 sec at 120.5 mph)[*] '01 Z06 Black/Mod Red (sold)
Viper_3.jpg

[This message has been edited by Venom Lover (edited 07-13-2001).]

People that have run thier stock 01's have been posting times between mid to high 13's. What's more important is for under a grand worth of bolt on mods you'll be in the high 12's and putting more then 400hp to the rear wheels. Here's the mods,
Chip
Filter
Pulley

Add some nitrous and a shift kit and you'll be knocking at the 11 second door.

That guy you we're racing on the interstate probably had at least a chip since a z06 will walk a stock lightning at higher speeds due to the aerodynamics of the two vehicles.

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
JDM Big mouth filter, JDM Flip chip, JDM Breather cap, JL Ram Air, JBA Headers, Striaght Pipes, Single Blade TB, Bed Rug, Steel Horse Billet grills, Keypad Mod, Dynomatted cab, Blaupunkt MD reciever w/CD changer, MTX Thunder Form, Clarion 5X7's up front, Infinity Kappa's in back, kick panels with JBL components, Relocated starter button, Billet pedals, red interior lights w/neon, purple neon and strobe lights for the shows, and more.
fe5e42b8.gif

Adam,

Thanks for the feedback. I just found the "Times and Mods" section and was checking out the time slips. Very impressive. What kind of times do you run with all your mods?

P.S., nice signature!
wink.gif

P.P.S., does anyone actually use these trucks to tow stuff? No reason you can't, right?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Venom Lover:
So, I was driving back from a day of drag racing my Z06 (sold a month ago) at Carlsbad.
</font>

Off subject but, why did you sell the Z06?
I am thinking off buying one. Any problems?

Venom,

I haven't run the 1/4 mile yet (picked up truck 3/15/01) but I estimate low 13's, the closest track to me is 1/8 mile and is really poor. I'm going to wait to get some other mods (roush lowering kit, upper pulley, new burn on my chip) before I make the drive to the 1/4 mile track. I'd like to be in the 12's on my first ever Lighting run
smile.gif
, then again I may botch my launch and run high 13's/low 14's
frown.gif

To answer your other question, yes - many people tow with their trucks but more don't. Basically, it's there if you need it.
It's also the reason I bought a Lightning, because it's a truck and damn I love trucks.

Cool I bet the guy was pumped up to have hung with a Z06

------------------
Marcus Harrison
TeamPowerdyne
1/8 mile ET 7.67
(AKA)Sport car killer
NLOC#495
Hungry out of work eat your IMPORT

Venom Lover~
Check the sig...the gen 2 has a chip, cone K&N filter, and a blower pully! Thats it! It stock went 14.10's!

The new MM&FF mag just tested a bone stock 01 and it went 13.30's stock and 13.20's with et streets!!

Welcome to the club! ( you ought to get one, and they tow really well!)

------------------
Shane L.

MATH is my favorite subject in school.....
~take 2 people, add a bed, subtract the cloths, divide the legs, and multiply like rabits!!!!

93 black- 13.14 @ 104 (mine)
99 red- 13.04 @ 107 (my inheritance) HEHE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gadrix:
Off subject but, why did you sell the Z06?
I am thinking off buying one. Any problems?
</font>

Well, it's kind of a long story, but since you asked, I'll give you my .02:

The real bottom line is that I have an '03 Viper on order, and I needed to cash out the Z06 to buy the Viper some time within the next year. When I started hearing the rumors about the '02 Z06 having 405 bhp, revised cam and valve springs, intake, new exhaust, suspension tweaks, etc., I knew what that meant: My '01 was about to lose $5000 in value, at least. I didn't want to take that kind of hit, and I had gotten nearly a year's enjoyment out of it, including two road racing weekends at Willow Springs and numerous trips to local drag strips.

That being said, there were things that were less-than-desirable about the car. The brake booster failed on day 2 of ownership and the frickin' Chevy dealer refused to admit there was a problem, even though it is well-known in the C5 community that GM has been producing bad batches of brake boosters since '99. I got them to fix the problem, but only after expending a lot of time in person at the dealership, which was totally unnecessary.
mad.gif

Also, despite the reputation, the brakes totally suck on the track. They're just fine for the street, as you can imagine, but I got all kinds of fade and unevenness (maybe even a warped rotor on my first day at WSIR with only 3000 mi on the car!!
mad.gif
). The Z06 racers told me on the Vette Forum that I really needed to modify the brakes for track use. I though, screw that. If I have to modify brakes, I'll do it on my car with 490 rwtq, not a Z06 with 336 rwtq.
wink.gif

Also, I did have moderate oil consumption (and huge oil consumption at the track, as in 2 quarts per day).

All that being said, the Z06 does handle like a motherf***** on the track, and given that, it's surprising how comfortable it is for driving on the street. But it sure doesn't have that "whack you in the head" torque of the Viper (and with 450 ft-lbs, not the torque of Lightning either
biggrin.gif
)).

Sorry for the lengthy rambling....If you buy a Z06, go with an '02. Hopefully, on top of the power bump, GM has also fixed the oil consumption and brake problems with the car. But be prepared to take a bath on resale value. The C6 Vette is coming soon! (BTW, I paid $45K [$3K below MSRP] for mine last August and sold for $42K. If I had bought at MSRP, I would've lost $6K in value in one year.)

If you like Viper styling, you might want to consider a '97 GTS, since you apparently don't mind a non-removable top. You can buy one with low miles for just a few grand more than the Z06, and in a straight line, there is absolutely no comparison. Road racing, I'd still give the edge to the Viper.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Litng1:
Cool I bet the guy was pumped up to have hung with a Z06
</font>

No doubt! Actually, he looked like he was having the time of his life! I admit I was enjoying myself mightily as well.
biggrin.gif

I think he had some substantial mods. Certainly, he had a lot of cosmetic mods, and the truck did not sound like it had stock exhaust....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Well, it's kind of a long story, but since you asked, I'll give you my .02:

</font>

Thanks... I think.
wink.gif

I had heard about the oil consumption problem. That is crazy on a 40k+ vehicle. I don't think I could live with that.

I appreciate the in-depth post.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a 03 viper but then I realized I didn't win the lottery after all. It must be nice
wink.gif

BTW - You need a Lightning to add to the collection.

Adam,
Thanks...Yes, I would love to have a Lightning. Need to warm the wife up to this concept, though. Perhaps I can suggest that it's time to get a truck to haul stuff around for our home improvements. That can be a two-edged sword though, 'cause then she's going to expect me to be at home working on sh** and not at the drag strip beating down F-bodies....
biggrin.gif

Hey, don't worry about your ET on your first run at the track. Better to just enjoy the experience, and if you blow the first launch, no big deal. Just try again! My first few runs in the Viper were sh***y in retrospect, but I was having fun, so who cares?

Hey Venom, why not stay in the family and get a Dakota or Durango?
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaPurpleR/T:
smile.gif
</font>

Errrrrrrr

Cuz he wants to go real fast without havin to do alot of Mods... hate to say it, but hes on the right track.... in order to go that fast a Dak RT would need quite a bit of tweaking.

Danno

------------------
98 DA CC R/T
13.08 @ 103.37
Sigpic.jpg

What do you mean "why not keep it in the Dodge family", he's already got the best thing to EVER come out of the Dodge camp, now why would he want a Dodge truck? He's looking at buying the best thing from the Ford SVT boys,for hat matter, the best performance truck period. He had the best from Chevy, and it sounded to me like the vette sucked (there is just something about reading those two words together that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy). $40K, for "the only true American sports car", let's see brakes suck, resale value is poor, oil consumption, on a brand new "sports car", WTF?

It is refreshing to hear someone who is not a typical "die hard vette fan" (you know, the CULT type) speak about the shortcommings or the car.

Resale value dropping like that is a weighing factor in car buying (for intelligent buyers, that is).

Good luck in your endeavors, Dude.

------------------
White Lightning #2252//'80 Mercury Capri-306 balanced, D.S.S forged pistons, TFS heads, Holley 750,Tremec, 4.10 gears, more... 13.20@107MPH//'01 F-250 White, PSD, 6 speed, 4X4, extended cab,/wife's white '01 Sport Trac
I have a thing for white vehicles!

[This message has been edited by Chris Wood (edited 07-14-2001).]

Dan, I never said it had to be an R/T...... Anywho, if he wanst an L, that's cool, I'm just tellin' him to weigh his options.

JJ, don't let the Cobra boys here you say dat, they'll have a fit.
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Wood:

It is refreshing to hear someone who is not a typical "die hard vette fan" (you know, the CULT type) speak about the shortcommings or the car.

Good luck in your endeavors, Dude.
</font>

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not tied to any particular manufacturer. Actually, I worked for GM for 5 years, and my old man is a GM guy, but I'll buy from whoever has the best product. In truth, I'm glad that there seems to be some healthy rivalry going on these days between GM, DC, and Ford in the performance market. But near as I can tell, there isn't a pickup that can touch the Lightning today, stock vs. stock. Correct me if I'm wrong....

smile.gif
</font>

Well, give me the performance numbers on the fastest Dakota or Durango today. Power, torque, quarter mile, etc. I'm talking stock. You're right, I should look at all options, and in truth I don't know what Dodge is offering these days.

Didn't they offer a variant of the Viper V10 motor in the Durango at one point? What years was that offered? I could go for a used vehicle with a V10!
biggrin.gif

No, no they didn't. LOL No V10s, sorry.
smile.gif

Well, there's 2-3 R/Ts running 14.5 stock on the moaprchat board, but unless you're a great driver I'd expect high 14s in the 1/4. The engine is really stuffed from the factory, it'll take ya 1-2 grand in bolt-ons to bring her down to a low 14/high 13, then yuo can really start modding it.
smile.gif

Good luck with whatever ya get.

No, no they didn't. LOL No V10s, sorry.
smile.gif

Well, there's 2-3 R/Ts running 14.5 stock on the moaprchat board, but unless you're a great driver I'd expect high 14s in the 1/4. The engine is really stuffed from the factory, it'll take ya 1-2 grand in bolt-ons to bring her down to a low 14/high 13, then yuo can really start modding it.
smile.gif

Good luck with whatever ya get.
</font>

So does this mean my stock Gen1 runs mid to high 14's ? I didn't think so.... I'm gonna have to be at the track and see that before I believe it. Mid 14's stock...LMAO

Back