Oil Seperator

I was looking through some of the mods people have done and I noticed a lot of guys have an oil seperator. How necessary is this and where does the oil come from?

tampalightning said:
I was looking through some of the mods people have done and I noticed a lot of guys have an oil seperator. How necessary is this and where does the oil come from?
Tampa,
The factory PCV setup basically feeds oil back into your intake if you dont do something about it. You can build or buy one ( like the link shown in boosted635's post above/ mine's homemade on my truck too ) , and your main choices are like the one in the link ( which needs to be emptied on occasion ) or the one from L&S which is more expensive, but requires no maintenance. They are easy to install, and help keep your intake/intercooler from looking like an oil drain pan...

just for example. I installed a KandN FIPK.
the next day i took it off to make it fit better. And there was oil already in the tube.
I have an LandS to install. Just waiting for a good weekend to do an intercooler clean and plug change

Tampa,
If you've got a few miles on your L, you may want to clean out your intake/intercooler anyway. It doesn't take long to accumulate quite a bit of oil in there...

Back