October 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month–Congrats Billy "lightning_2000" Dunn(NLOC#2643)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

October 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Billy "lightning_2000" Dunn (NLOC# 2643).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM hails from The Volunteer State—Tennessee. Billy's truck has nice clean looks and plenty of go under the hood. Billy's quest for speed has taken him through a few variations under the hood and his last combo will take him far...we look forward to following your progress. Thanks for being a part of the Lightning community.

Read on to learn more about Billy's truck and join in congratulating "lightning_2000" and his Lightning on being October's Truck of the Month!

totm_front_side_shot.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I was in grade school when these trucks 1st came out. I believe it was 5th grade…even back then I knew I had to have a lightning one day. I bought a model that year and assembled it... still have that thing somewhere.

totm_rear_shot.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

None that I can think of, but for a long time I was into lifted trucks. I’ve always been somewhat of a dare devil...lifted trucks and four wheeler riding was my thing for a while, stunts jumps, and wheelies.

totm_rear_side_shot.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Well, that’s a long list but I will try to make it shorter! For starters the truck was oxford white; I put the truck into paint shop for a full repaint; ram air hood; shaved the fenders and stake pockets; Gen 2 wheels, and changed color to Olympic White. After that I ran nitrous for a while. Only problem is, there are only 8th mile tracks around here so got it down to 8.7’s, but wanted power all the time. Next came a Vortech kit, ftvb, and Pro M mass air kit...that got me 8.5’s on low boost. The I got greedy and popped the stock motor—number 7 piston took a vacation. So, a 393 stroker was built, forged, added aluminum heads, bigger roller cam, and Mac long tubes…the truck went 7.30s at 95 mph untuned. After all that I had a mishap with the 2nd Vortech blower, so I sold the kit and picked up a Pickrel Performance Novi 2000 kit. I learned my lesson and got a tune via TwEECer with new 60lb injectors, bigger meter, and an ebay innercooler…truck went 7.20 at 99mph with full weight. I backed up the time a few times; I just never could get it to 60 ft hard.

Once and for all, the last round of mods were 1.5” drop drag springs, 90-10 drag shocks, pulled 2 leafs from rear, and upgraded to a 3000 10 inch Circle D convertor...it picked up quite a bit, but I haven’t been back to the track yet to see what it can do…soon though :cool:.

totm_393w_motor_pic.jpg

totm_engine_pic.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

A few people used to ask me why I don’t fix the alternator bearing...Vortech S-Trim was loud :D!

totm_engine_shot_no_blower.jpg

vortech_sq_.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I’m 26 years old and engaged to the girl I’ve been with for 10 years...our plan is to marry on 10-10-10

My hobbies are 4-wheeler riding, playing with truck/going to track, softball, and tennis.

My father and I own a nursery; it takes up a lot of my time and is a lot of work!

totm_me_pic_2.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I’ve been a member since April 2005, but became a paid member a year ago. I like to support the site and keep it going because I really enjoy all the people on NLOC.

0125071508.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Everything is great! I wouldn’t change a thing.

l_f247511534ae41c3a7a43a58f70d5ab1.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Well, no meaning really, it was an easy name to remember and not to mention the other names I wanted were already taken.

totm_front.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

I plan to get the truck into mid the 6’s in 1/8 and 10’s in ¼, while being a full street truck with no cage!
I have a fuel rail kit and Trickflow Box R intake waiting to go on soon.

m_16354b309035c72080c2b05cd91204a5.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together??

I would like to thank my biggest helper…my buddy bobby, for helping me when I can’t do some of the work or plain just don’t have the time to do it myself. The person on this site that has helped me the most would be dogman…thank you. To all the other people that have helped me along the way, you know who you are, thank you.

Last but not least, I’d like to thank my girl for understanding my addiction to Lightning’s.

totm_side_pic.jpg

Congratulations to Billy and his 1995 white Gen 1 Truck of the Month, October 2009!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Buddy..always got her lookin good! Can't wait go to track again and watch ya break 6s :eek:ldtu:

great bio on the truck Billy and way to get the performance out of it!!

Congrats on a honor well deserved!!

EE

Great looking truck! I like seeing you younger guys gaining an interest in the Gen 1 trucks and making them as fast and good looking as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back