November 2008 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month-Congrats Mike "MikeyP60" Potter ! (NLOC #1716)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

November 2008 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Mike (MikeyP60) Potter ! (NLOC #1716)

This months Gen 2 truck rolls on the Florida byways. A 2003 Dark Shadow Grey (DSG) model, Mike has spent time making this truck his own. He just completed an engine build and is currently going through the excruciating break-in period for the new bullet strapped in between the rails. Mike has paid attention to the myriad of details in massaging his Lightning to his liking. His “high standard of quality” vividly shows throughout his ride. This is ONE sweet truck ! Read on to get the details about “MikeyP60” and his Lightning.

3002458610_f3e9c2856e_o.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Wanted one the day the 93's hit the street. Have a daughter that was 8 at the time. Knew there would be a lot of transporting kids around. No Lightning.

3002511190_4dd1cc1e30_o.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I had a 66 Ford Fairlane GT. 390 motor, 4 speed top loader that was just a bear. It got built by some friends of mine that did high performance boat motors. I had it for the better part of 3 years and only got beat 2 times in it. Both of them were BIG Hemi's. Got orders back to Viet Nam in 1969 and tried to figure out what to do with it. Couldn't leave it at my Dad's, my brothers or my Dad would have totaled it. Couldn't put in storage, didn't know if I'd make it back. Wound up selling it to a guy who was going to give it to his son. Son never got it. The one car I would dearly love to have back.

3002511470_321cb66db7_o.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

GO:

Newly built motor with a Whipple 2.3.
Accufab throttle body
Electric fan.
Mezziere electric water pump
JBA headers with Magnaflow mids, high flow cats and a Magnaflow cat back.
FTVB
Detroit Tru-Trac rear end
Fluidyne heat exchanger
Metco Lower Trac Bars
Metco drive shaft loop
Hurst Line Lock
Autometer C2 gauges Boost-Air Fuel and Oil Pressure
Aeroforce Interceptor
All supporting mods for the Whipple
DMR panhard bar

3002511364_ed69c569f0_o.jpg

SHOW:

Lots of billet in the engine compartment and badges on the truck.
Expy wide console with a custom lid
Snug lid with a Cervini’s tailgate spoiler molded on
A few yellow highlights thru-out the truck
Roush 427 Stripes on front fenders and doors. Thought about this one for a year before I broke down and did it.
Radar Detector, GPS, and XM Express are all hardwired into the truck.

Still breaking Motor in. About 800 more miles to go.

3002511400_5acf9a246a_o.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

The only thing that is worth mentioning would be how the stripe came about. Saw it on a Roush 427R and really liked it. There were a couple other L's out there that had similar graphics. I had a friend Photoshop it to my truck and I liked the way it looked. I carried that picture around in my truck for a little over a year. One day, I said to hell with it, let’s get it done. Had a couple misgivings while it was being done, but I couldn't be happier with it.

3001675941_57a6c1ac78_o.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

Born and raised in San Francisco and have lived and worked in So Cal and Central Cal. Spent 22 1/2 years in the military. Retired in 1981 at Fort Ord Ca. Spent 8 years there after I got out. My Wife's Mom and Dad lived in Florida. We came to visit and wound up moving down here. Did some Sky Diving while I was in the service, Military Free Fall Team. Love to ski, no snow in Florida. Love a good book now and then. Try to watch all the Nascar races. My wife and I have been married 28years. The Love of my life. Right after her comes my Daughter, who is getting married Nov.22nd.

3002511490_5f80118fe6_o.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I think I have been on NLOC for around 3-4 years. #1716. Heard about NLOC from some of the guys I met after I bought my Lightning in May of ‘04. Good site and organization to belong to.

3002511518_eedae9c021_o.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Wouldn't change a thing. You guys do a Hell of a job.

3001675991_34cd96bf7b_o.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

There were 5 Mike's where I work and we had to have way to get their attention, without having every one of us turning around when someone yelled hey Mike. I became MikeyP. The 60 came later when I had to come up with a screen name for a site that I was registering on. I was 60 at the time.

3001675671_60fb756579_o.jpg

3002511244_7929ea14ee_o.jpg

3002511296_ce0656e46c_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

No major changes planned. Maybe wheels if I see something I don't think I can live without. DMR Spyder Brace in the works.

3001675909_b0500c95b1_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

People to Thank. Sam and TJ at Coastal Chassis Dyno for the Engine-Hell of a job. Nef at RED FINISH- lid and spoiler job. Pete at Soundwaves- all the hardwiring and helping me out with a lot of other stuff. All of the FLOC guys that have all answered my questions and chimed in when they think I needed a little shove. A BIG thank you to my Daughter, Jessica, who spotted the truck on the lot, and said, “Dad, that is so you". Most of all, my wife Jennifer. She has stood by me through all my ups and downs with this Truck and never uttered a bad word when I have decided to do another mod. Baby, It’s Your Truck, have fun.
3002511444_1367daafb6_o.jpg

Congratulations to Mike Potter and his 2003 DSG Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, November 2008 !

Last edited:
The strip makes it UNIQUE:grin1:

Yellow nice different TOUCH;)

Truck looks AWESOME:cool:

Congrats man well deserved:eek:ldtu:

Thanks Y'all. BTW, Lightning Too Go is responsible for the awesome pics. He's located in Seffner, Fl. in case anyone needs photo work. All of the other guys that were mentioned are all in Tampa, if anyone is interested. Thanks again. Mikey:cool:

Congrats Mikey! I have always liked your truck. Good luck with the new power and never let that shine fade. :eek:ldtu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back