No supercharger belt

SVT5044

I noticed a ticking and I have confirmed it’s the supercharger. I have a rebuild kit being overnighted. I daily drive my 2001 lightning. Is it safe to run it without the supercharger belt until I can get it rebuilt this weekend? Oil looks golden brown and is full. All stock.

Yes, you can drive without the supercharger belt til the cows come home. Won't hurt a thing. Just expect it to be a gutless wonder, a true slug. Don't try and pass anything, not even a Yugo. LOL!

With the belt off, when you rev it using the throttle link, you will see the pulley turning. The thing freewheels due to the air passing through it.

Taking the belt off and running it is a normal way to analyze unusual noise. I have cogs, and one day after accelerating up an on-ramp hard, I started hearing a sound I thought was rod knock, :scared1: Upon getting home, removed the supercharger belt and the sound went away. Ended up the belt tossed five teeth in a row, and was making a sound that I mistook as rod knock.

lots of folks have run ‘em without belts to get to the parts store, home from wherever, till payday etc over the years

I always try to keep the RPM’s down as it’ll seem to struggle up higher

Back