New Turbo Section!

NLOC

BBM
I Support the NLOC
The comment was made that with the looming rash of turbo conversions for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 trucks, a section that addresses the conversions/installations was needed. To that end we started the section for Q&A, comments and helpful posts. We will delete any posts that we feel does not belong here. There will be no "kill", jokes, or other non-relevant posts allowed. This is a technical forum only, so let's keep it that way.

...Dwight...

BigD said:
rash of turbo conversions for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 trucks

I seem to fit the profile :D

Gen 1 Turbo install complete, waiting on wiring harness

Gen 2 Turbo install started last week :)

Re: Re: New Turbo Section!

KB ZILLA said:
Gen 2 Turbo install started last week :)

Hope everything is working out for ya Eric, and I hope its going at a little less tedious pace than mine seems to be. I think Im just getting anxious though.

Of all the people going turbo and myself being one of them. What do you all plan on using for engine management. I plann on runing accell Gen VII DFI. Im going to a C6 so it is alot easier. Anybody else ditiching what ford gave us?

Configured to be the same level as a BS3 with the wideband and all options, Gen VII DFI is about $1000 more than the BS3 and is a generation behind it in terms of feature set.

The basic Gen VII for a Ford is $1700. Adding wide band support (Standard on the BS3) is a $1000 upgrade. You can get a BS3 for about $1900, less with careful shopping.

I just paid 2g for the Gen VII DFI set up with the innovative wide band, 3 bar map sensor, and the Dist needed to make it work to its full potential. The big stuff with the similar set up and the MSD dist need would have been $600 more form the same company. The company I purchased from sells Accell big stuff and Fast and this was the best deal for what I'm trying to do. I am building a street-strip truck. The big stuff is better for a full on race set up but doesn't have the controls available to run the methanol injection or the nitrous my truck will have along with the turbo set up. I wanted something with more adjust ability and good customer support, I did allot of research and talked to racers ruining all 3 systems and I hope I made the right choice.

Sounds like Accel has really dropped it's pricing. Interesting.

I'm using a crusty ol' FAST setup and it works well enough for me though I'd love to have something newer. I'd imagine that the DFI and BS3 with their "learning tuning" ability are both really sweet.

BTW, the BS3 will run the nitrous now, it wouldn't at first. It would be hard to find a lot of people running it since it's so new. It's supposed to be getting electronic wastegate control and such integrated into it too. As well as electronic transmission control (won't hold my breath on that one).

If my goal is a street Gen1 with a mild turbo (well, mild compared to the rest of you), can I keep my '93 speed density setup, or do I absolutely HAVE to upgrade to either a later MAF setup or a complete aftermarket controls system?

I know somebody on here was talking about staying SD, but I thought there was some serious concern about it.

Has there been a consensus agreement on it yet?

-edit- Oops, I suppose I should've made this a separate thread? Delete it if that makes more sense and maybe start a specific thread relating to engine controls issues...

Last edited:
Well I 've got the engine back in mine and hopefully will have it running in the next few days.
I went with the Western Motorsports SDS and the Baumanator TCS for the trans. Got the wideband from Western also.

What kind of price did the trans controller cost you? How does it work? I want to go C6 but am runing out of money right now.

If you're talking about Harry Hruska, you'll have a hard time finding him at Innovative.... you'll have better luck trying at Precision. ;)

We're lucky enough to have one of Precision's guys among us (I'm surprised he hasn't posted here yet). Brian (Gasguzzler) is one of the PTE team.

Back