new shop floor!

Looks like the first job will be replacing intake gaskets on the 93. The first time in my 55 years I've had an intake end seal leaking on an engine. It made quite a mess doing the datalogging for the tune.

What's your technique for intake end seals? I've been hit or miss with mine. It aggrevates me. I was told to take a center punch and make a line of punch marks about 1/2" apart down the center of the block's mating surface and intakes surface. I was told it helps hold the gasket material in place.
I was then told for the gasket material, throw away the cork or rubber and simply use a high quality RTV sealant and build it, let it tack up for 20-30 mins. I use "the right stuff". Comes in the easy cheese style container. Set the intake and tighten the bolts to hand tight. Let it dry. After dry torque down. I was told to make sure to build up enough of the sealant to make sure the gap is full when the intake is initially set on.
This method has worked the best for me.
However, I am open to suggestions!

I usually don't use the end seals, just RTV. I guess my track record isn't bad, I just hate to take it apart again!

Back