New member with a seized engine...

lincolnks93l

I have a very long history with my 93 (sorry for the book) I got it when I was 18 for $1200. Ran and drove and was stickered for the road. I took it home put it in my garage and started the resto( needed cab corners, radiator support mounts and she was CRUSTY on the bottom and on the front end) fixed all that sand asked and painted the rear half as well as dropped the middle tank so I'm solely using the rear tank. Drove it here and there and it was great. Blew the rear end doing a burnout at my buddies house so I put a mini spool it in. Worked great. I moved for a few years and I wasn't able to bring my truck with me (moved from Maine to North Dakota) moved home about 7 years ago and had an accident. ( not with the truck!) Truck was stored at my dad's for 4 years. We haven't been on talking terms for quite awhile so it was a huge ordeal to get it from there after my friends put it there while I was away. I get it back without the upper tubular intake or plague on it or anywhere in sight and also what looks like sour cream inside in between the seats. Motor left open. Went to go turn the crank bolt a few months ago and it's sized. So I put gallons of mystery oil in it and it still stuck. Wondering what my options are..... its always been a side project. I've always had big plans for it because I will NEVER sell it. I'm leaning towards a couple options.. junk yard around my area has a bronco or f350 with a 5.8 same body style. Or tear this one down and rebuild it or I have a coyote motor in a newer parts truck I could put in it but thats obviously way more work and fabricating and more money. Help 🤷‍♂️

If it's seized that badly, it's probably well beyond a ring-and-hone repair. Probably going to require an overbore and pistons.

Someone was interested in selling a pull-out Lightning engine here recently.

If a Coyote didn't require modifying the frame, I probably would be planning that already in my driver truck, but since the frame is pristine with no rust at all, I just can't see doing that.

I'm wondering if the 7.3 will require the same kind of modifications.

As FMOS said if it's that seized it would need allot of machine work to cleanup. If you want to keep the 351w for nowor to get it running. You could get a 351w short block and put your heads and lower intake and use a explorer upper. That being said a 7.3 or coyote would be cool but allot more money. All depends on how much you have to spend. And how fast you want to get it back on the road. You could always get it going the 351 route till you figure out what way you want to go.

Thank you guys for replying!! I ended up going the route of buying a 96 f250 with the 5.8 for $500 I drove it on my trailer.. a buddy helped me pull them both out yesterday and today. I pulled the lightning motor out with the tranny cause the engine is seized. Started cleaning up the donor motor that's when I found out the freeze plugs had sheetrock screws in both of them. Which that's not the worst part. I started taking the manifolds off to put my stock lightning shortys on and on the second to last bolt on passenger side coolant started pissing out when I got the manifold bolt loose..... tightened it back up... stopped leaking. Currently sitting in the donor trucks seats on the floor of my garage staring at my lightning.... sad face and all.

Coolant was leaking from the exhaust flange bolt hole??

IMO you want to swap the GT40 heads over anyway and that will give you a chance to inspect the bores, all of which is far easier to do on an engine stand. Put new freeze plugs in. Stuff it in and off you go.

Yeah the heads don't matter since your using the lightning ones. So this being junk doesn't matter as long as the bottom end is good that's all you need. Which you can inspect with the heads off. And if it is buying the whole f250 for 500 instead of the motor with scrap as high you could probably get all your money back

Back