need some tips on truck purchase

Hammershop

Hey,,new to the forum and thought it would be the best place to get some tips on what to look out for when I make this purchase ,,got my eye on either a '00 or an '02,,both have relatively low miles and typical drivers seat wear,,more concerned about engine and trans issues..Ive heard he 5.4 was prone for headgasket oil leaks and carbon buildup and not familiar with the transmissions on these at all,,any input on what I should be looking for overall would be appreciated and thanks

I own a 1999 and it has been pretty much rock solid. 67k on transmission and motor and both are still original. I would try to find a 2003 or 2004 just due to the fact of having the 8 thread heads. I'd also stay away from the 2001 just due to the transmission issue those one's had. Main things to look for would be any frame damage, what modification's have been done, rust(only the front end,cab area and undercarriage) and overall upkeep on these trucks. These trucks do have the possibility of blowing a head gasket but so does every other vehicle. Good luck with your search.

Back