Need help with what front facia parts I need

427Lightning

Formerly F100cleveland
Ok, I think I'm going to do a drastic change over the winter. My truck had body work done to it over 10 years ago and its finally starting to show its age. I picked up a rust free box from a 90 F150 and it has lips on the fenders that are different than my 82 does. So my body guy was going to butcher it up and give it repair panels from the 80-86 boxsides.

But, Copperheads truck, photoshopped white, really got me thinking. Since I'm going to pull all this weight off my truck, I might as well just keep the box the way it is and find front clip parts off of a 92-96 F150. I want to make a Lightning clone.

I don't plan on running inner fenders and will be running a 5" cowl lift off hood. Thats all I know for sure. So, what do I need to put the fenders on my truck? Radiator support from a 92-96, or we have a 91 parts truck too, so would that radiator support work? I will need lights functional in the front too.

Will also need the front air dam type bumper (hopefully fiberglass) and paintable grill.

Shouldn't be too hard to make this:
013.jpg

Look pretty close to this:
Red_White_Lightning.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration Keith:eek:ldtu:

Wow I never realized the body was so similar, :scared1:.
anyways. I know among others Blake (Yellowlightning) has his inners and otherstuff removed. you might check with him on what problems if any.

If you can find a good starting point at a junkyard I'd go that route. a buddyof mine has a 90 bronco and switched to a 92-96 front clip, fenders, rad support. most of the wiring is the same.

I believe most of the sheet metal should just bolt up. The biggest issue will probably be the bumper IIRC the frame horns/bumper mounts are different between some of the years.

The frame horns on your 81 are definitely different. However with the way the front bumper in on our trucks, it would not be hard to put the bumper on. The fenders, hood, radiator support, etc, will all bolt right up. You will need pigtails for the headlights, since the sealed beam on your truck and the composite headlights of the 92-96 era are different. You will need the fenders, hood, radiator support, plastic support panel, gravel guard, bumper, headlights, headlight doors, corner marker lamps, cowl panel and a little time and effort with the fabricator, and it will be all done.

Hit the junkyards looking for 92-96 Ford F150, Broncos, and 92-98 Ford F250 and F350s for these parts.

it all should bolt up. just make sure you get the cowl also. I just put the 92-96 front clip on my 88 cab, but im sure the early style is damn close also. good luck!

Your truck is so nice that I hate to see you make the change. I can't remember the last time that I saw an '82, let alone one as nice as yours.

Thanks for the help guys.

Is the cowl from the 87-91 trucks the same as the 92-96?

Also, is the radiator support the same as using the years listed above?

Just to clarify, is the plastic support panel the piece under the grill that wraps around the front corners a little bit?

What exactly is the gravel guard?

I know that you don't see too many older trucks that are in good shape, but mine looks good from far but is far from good. The body work was a "quickie" done 10 years ago and its starting to go fast. I keep making this truck more street/strip and leaning way more towards strip now. So, these front end components are way lighter cuz of the fiberglass and plastic stuff. Still gonna be kinda funny when people look inside the cab and its the old style dash:D

The plastic peice is the header panel that supports the headlights and grill. The gravel gaurd is the metal peice below the headlights.

You need to stop by some time and check out some of my front stuff. :eek:ldtu:

Where you getting a hood? I need one but want a stock looking lift off. Maby we could get a deal buying 2 and ship them together and save some $$$

Tim

I have a '80 F-150 2wd reg cab 8' box project truck sitting in my garage. I have the box off a '93, cab is '89, interior is '90, engine is a EFI 7.5L out of a '90, and the front clip & doors are still '80, except for the hood it's a GT 500 fiberglass one. I have always loved the '80-'81 front ends.

Last edited:
I was just looking through the LMC catalog and noticed that they list an upper grill deflector. Is that something I need?

Don't do it!

IMO, it won't look right unless you change the bed as well because the fenderwells have different arches. Be original & keep it original. You don't see very 80-86 body style trucks that are in good shape & look good. Save your money & do something else to you truck.

IMO, it won't look right unless you change the bed as well because the fenderwells have different arches. Be original & keep it original. You don't see very 80-86 body style trucks that are in good shape & look good. Save your money & do something else to you truck.
I noticed this as well and was thinking the same thing about the wheel arches

I think the truck looks kick azz the way it is but if you are dead set on making it into a clone I have most of the parts you will need!!

I picked up a rust free box from a 90 F150 and it has lips on the fenders that are different than my 82 does. So my body guy was going to butcher it up and give it repair panels from the 80-86 boxsides.

I stated in the original post that I all ready have the box. My box is trashed, if it wasn't for the rubber bed cover, you'd fall through the floor. It was a "quickie" almost 10 years ago cuz I never intended on keeping it for very long. Well, now its getting turned into more and more of a drag truck.

Problem with the 80-86 body style is the total lack of aftermarket parts for the front. There are 'glass bumpers and hoods out there for them, but the hoods wouldn't have the clearance I need. I'm trying to shed as much weight as possible in the front and going with the newer style front is the way to do it.

I know opinions vary, but I really like the design of the Gen 1 front, color matched and all.

i just did a swap from the 87-91 to the 92-96 front clip. the cowl is diffrent, and the cab has diffrent mounts for the cowl (diffrent locations, but its easy to make work, a longer bolt and a couple washers will do it.) But, the actual shape is diffrent slightly between the years. :cr:

why dont you do a one peice front clip? :?

Back