Need advice

JohnEagle

Ok so it seems that I have a blown head gasket or maybe both. So the engine has to come out to be repaired. Of course since it has to come out I want to just go ahead and have it rebuilt. I need a point in the right direction as far as which crank, rods and pistons to use. Who would be a good rebuilder near Mcdonough to use? As far as the heads go I will probably let Dover handle those. Keep in mind I am not trying to go big here. Maybe a reliable 500 to 550 hp. The stock internals may be fine for that. I just don't know.
The transmission needs some attention too. I have a great rebuilder but I was just wondering about the kit to rebuild it. Should I go with something from LFP for $700 or would the standard rebuild kit (around $300) work ok for that HP.
The old truck has over 130k on it and I am just really looking to give it a new heart with a little more boost. I plan to keep the truck for a long time as I use it for a truck more than a track piece. I want to get out as inexpensive as i can because this is dipping into my Mustang funds! :mad:

Thanks
John

If youre gonna do it, do it right. Save your money and buy a short/longblock from one of the SV on here. Its not something you want to do again.

John, Bob (fade2black) had his engine built by someone there in McDonough. PM him for info. Plus, he would be a good one to advise you on the direction for you to take in your build based on your goals. Good luck!

Dixie Performance just off the square built my engine and it's nearing 30K with no issues other than what I've caused from tuning/setup being too aggressive. They are the ONLY ones in the immediate area that I know of and they do really good work. Downside is turn time, might take them a while to get it done but they can do the entire engine from top to bottom and go as mild or aggressive as you like, trust me on this - they know their s h i t ! ! !

You can reuse the stock block, crank and heads but you'll need new H beams, pistons (recommend a 14cc dish for ~ 9.0:1 CR), rings, bearings, etc. which they can get for you or you can source yourself. If you contact them ask for Lee Severt, he's the old man who runs the joint and can tell you what their lead time is, prices, etc. You can mention that I sent you, dunno if that will **** him off or not, LOL!!

As for the transmission, well I don't really know cause I'm still on the stocker but Brian at BTS or Chris at Circle D are the ones I'd call and ask about the 4R100 stuff. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from LFP. When it comes to hard parts price = quality so the more you pay the better they are plain and simple.

Back to engine stuff, I know some guys in Warner Robbins/Macon that can also build you an outstanding engine at a good price and probably quicker than Dixie can but they work out of a backyard shop. I'd let them build me an engine in a minute btw.

I've also got my bone stock engine sitting in the basement in pristine condition with 34,111 miles on it if you're interested. :clinkmugs

Give me a call about the trans, I am sure we can help you out. We also offer one of the best converters, so we can really make that new motor shine.

713-895-8834

Chris

Back