My turbo project

I suppose you could do the same thing by pulling to first - which I'd have to do since I manually shift.

I guess I never realized people were shifting at the light. I definitely wouldn't've tried that with my faster truck. Just too much going on at the light to add shifting to it. May have to try it in the slower one.

Looks like a cool setup. Do you have any pics of how the hotside runs up to the turbo inlet? I have to get my stuff refabbed so a reroute might help. Pics would help best.

As for the ebrake thing, Gen 2s have another set of brake shoes for the ebrake that the Gen 1s don't, thats what FMOS was talking about.

The technique I was using worked like this.

I had a front line lock so during the burnout I would use it to hold the truck still and then put a little pressure to drag the back brakes a little. This would put some heat in these pads so they would grab a little better.

Next I would roll up to the 1st beam, stop and set the parking brake HARD. Then I would move my feet to the regular gas and brake pedals, putting light pressure on the brake and giving enough gas to get close to my stall speed (2400 RPM). Let the other guy get all the way staged at this point so you have control of when the lights come down. Put your hand on the ebrake release lever at this point. Holding light brake pressure bring the rpms up until the truck lurches forward into the 2nd beam. You will get a feel of how much brake and gas to use to get just the right amout of movement. Once you are in the 2nd beam STAND on the brake and bring the RPMs up to just below where the truck will roll forward. When the lights come down mat the gas and release the brakes and away you go.

Doing this helped my cut my 60's by a 10th or so. I really needed a higher stall for my combo. I never fiddled with the shifting and such.

Thanks. These are the only shots I have of the hot piping in the truck and another of pic of it outside the truck... between the three should get a pretty good idea of how it's routed I hope.

turbobuild6.jpg

hotunder.jpg

turbokit1.jpg

Thanks for the ebrake technique info! Can't wait to try it out :cool:.

Last edited:
That looks great,do you have a pic of the inlet side of the IC showing how you ran the turbo to intercooler piping?

Thanks bud :cool:.

Don't have a pic of the piping on the truck handy but you can get a good idea of what I did from this pic showing all the cold side. Used the two pieces on the right... top piece connects to the turbo and feeds down to the other, then a 180 to the IC.
Note the bottom piece isn't tacked together yet, one side should be angled up to meet the piece going to the turbo.

piping2.jpg

I ended up putting my BOV on the piece right below the turbo... if anyone was curious :).
turbobuild5.jpg

Forgot to update the thread from where I went to the track a few months ago.

Upped the boost to ~17 psi and gave it 20 deg timing (race gas mix).
Ran a 7.21 @ 100.6 mph w/ a 1.78 sixty foot in the ⅛.

Full weight minus hitch, 30" slicks, and still not building boost on the line. Need to try those launch techniques out LOL. I was pretty happy with the 100 mph though :).

Pic of the outside... can see how I finished the exhaust.
That's a single 4.5" tip, I'll probably redo it as I'm think dual tips look better on a Lightning. It works for now though :cool:.

Lpic_2.jpg

Back