My turbo project

69Roadster

Got my turbo setup running a few weeks ago and thought I'd post a pic :).
I'm far from having it tuned optimal... and I still want to make some tweaks (like a cold air setup)... but it's running good enough to make me smile every time I drive it. Definitely no regrets yet :cool:.

turbo_done.jpg

Took the truck to the local ⅛ mile track tonight.

7.87 @ 94.7 with a 1.96 sixty foot

~15psi, pump gas, full weight, 30" M&H tires

Pretty happy with it. Would like to get that 60 foot down though :).

Thanks.

I haven't tried anything other than plane-jane foot braking it :). I'm only building maybe 1 psi on the line if I'm lucky.

So the ebrake trick works? Just mash it down and pop it when you take off?

I have a front line lock already... does it help locking the front brakes only? Or do you install a line lock on the rear brakes? Lock both?

Appreciate the help :eek:ldtu:.

You can also get to the line quick and give it a few quick revs in neutral, then mash the brakes. It will help build vacuum in the booster. It's a tough process doing it all while you're at the staging lights.

what about a line lock for all 4 wheels...

i know someone who is doing a extra set of calipers for the rear and maybe that will work out well and go that route...

nothing like leaving the line with 15 lbs kicking your ***...

I ran dual line locks, one front and one rear, with a two-step on my big block truck. I need to do a similar setup on my small block, I guess.

The e-brake on the Gen 2 is a second set of shoes so it adds braking to the stock calipers. Dan Murney used it to pretty decent effect on his turbocharged Gen 2. He even got pretty decent at cutting a light with it.

Thanks for the info. I definitely want to try the dual line lock and two step... also the dual caliper setup :cool:.

First though I guess I'll try the easiest (and free :)) thing and see what it does for me. Plan on using the e-brake next time out.

Of course, I could just spray the truck to get it spooled. I haven't hooked up the nozzle yet but everything else is still there from before... even have a full bottle. Not sure why that hadn't crossed my mind earlier LOL.

Last edited:
What about building boost in 2nd gear... then shifting to D when you take off???

Think I read about that technique on this forum a long time ago. Tried it on the street and it seems to work (after I raised the failed speed sensor rpm that is). Built more boost than I could before anyway.

Is it bad for the trans? Any worse than trying to stall in 1st or downshifting??

You could just use a proportioning valve.

but doesn't a prop valve work by reducing pressure to the rears to balance out the system?

if so then you are reducing your holding power by reducing pressure, so you would want full pressure to the rears for launch, then you would have to have your prop valve adjustable from the driver's seat and be sure to switch it before you get on the brakes at the end of the strip so the rears don't lock up first.

Well, I think if the rears were locking up badly that you'd be over-proportioned to the rear. I'd run a different proportion on the street than I would at the strip, but it wouldn't be THAT dramatically favored towards the rear at the strip. Or you could pretend you were driving a real drag car since a lot of them only have rear brakes anyway. ;)

I tried the "build boost in second and then pull it to first" method and it didn't gain me anything. Could stall it higher, but the moment I pulled it to first, it would just start to rotate the tires.

Back