May 2009 Gen 2 Truck of the Month- Kimberly "lightning_girl_94" Dapiran! (NLOC #1165)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

May 2009 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Kimberly (lightning_girl_94) Dapiran ! NLOC #1165)

It is May and May means Mother’s Day in which both men and women acknowledge their mothers. Be it the mother of their children, their own mothers or the mothers of their parents, it is a day within the month of May women are honored. It is only fitting NLOC should honor it’s own female Lightning owners in both the Gen 2 and Gen 1 categories. While this Lightning may not be the quickest or the most modified it would be extremely difficult to find an owner that is prouder of owning a Lightning ! Kimberlys excitement and enthusiasm shine through in her answers about her Lightning, her Rottweilers, and her husband John.

Read on to learn more about Kimberlys truck and join in the congratulations to lightning_girl_94 and her Lightning !

3485887086_efef68ca91_o.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Back in 1999, when I met John (my husband), I kept hearing about his “Lightning!” At the time, all I’d ever driven were GM’s and really had no clue what, exactly, a Lightning was. The first time I saw it, it was love at first sight. Once he let me drive it, I had to have one of my own so the search was on for a truck just like John’s. In 2000, we came upon a gem of a ’94 – low miles, lowered, lots of extras and best of all… black! I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of driving that truck until unfortunately, it met with an untimely death in 2002 after I made a left turn in front of a Ford E350 van. I knew I wanted another Lightning so we decided we’d look into a Gen 2 since we still had his Gen 1. Not too long after the insurance check arrived, we got up close and personal with a black 2001. Enter in my second Lightning, my first Gen 2. I drove and raced the tires off of that truck until January of 2005, when I handed down the slightly used and abused black Gen 2 and stepped up to my first brand new Lightning!

3485886862_471baf1f9e_o.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

Growing up, my dad was a gear head – drag racing and later building magazine-quality Street Rods. Being around that definitely sparked my interest in automobiles, however it would be quite a few years before I purchased a “real” vehicle. My first car was an ’89 Grand Am that I drove for 3 months before it “threw a rod.” As a teenager at the time, I can’t say I was upset because I knew that car definitely wasn’t one to be seen in! I replaced the Grand Am with a somewhat better ’90 Chevy Lumina but she was still no hotrod. A few years later, a Fire Engine Red ’95 Grand Am GT caught my eye and I have to admit, I thought that car was badass and super fast… UNTIL, I drove a Lightning!

3485073143_bcbf6e574b_o.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Since I wanted to keep the factory warranty in effect, the first three years I owned it, no modifications were made. Once the factory warranty was up, John added a Magnaflow Catback and a Factory Tech valve body and deep pan. I’ve also added a Gaylord Speedstur Tonneau cover, a Bedrug and Cobra R-style fiberglass hood. I don’t remember who made the hood, but it was part of an NLOC group buy back in ’03 or so. The truck has also been lowered using Beltech drop spindles in the front with Ground Force 1” drop springs. Western Chassis spring hangers and drop shackles make up the rear. Carriage Works billet grills adorn the front of the truck, which John won at one of the L Fests we attended. The factory radio was replaced with a Pioneer head unit that is iPod compatible and the front and rear speakers were also replaced with Pioneer. Let’s not forget the tinted windows… after having the truck for four years; they finally landed me a ticket!

3485886644_bacdd36fd6_o.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

My ’04 was the first new vehicle I’ve ever purchased. When I learned they weren’t going to continue with production, I told John that if we could get a Sonic Blue ’04, he could have my black ’01 Lightning.

3485887050_64ceee4929_o.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I’m 30 years old, have been married for almost three years and together for 10 this year. I work for a dermatologist in Buffalo Grove as a Patient Financial Coordinator and as long as they’re in business, I will NEVER leave! John and I share our lives with one male Rottweiler named Hunter (6yrs) that we adopted from a rescue almost five years ago and one male, Code of Ethics (read: properly bred w/ the betterment of the breed in mind) Rottweiler named Sherman (9 months). I’m an active volunteer for Rottweiler Rescue as well as a foster home to dogs looking for their forever home. I spend three to four nights per week training one or both dogs for competition obedience. When time permits, I do enjoy racing my truck at our local track in Union Grove, WI or getting together with the ILLNESS group at Byron Dragway in Byron, IL.

3485886828_d16a91926b_o.jpg

3485887344_70d743def5_o.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I’ve been a user and member since I purchased my black ’94 in 2000. I chose to become a member because it was the only forum for “people of our kind” to chat, share stories and ask and receive answers to technical questions. Since joining in 2000, John and I have made some GREAT friends and have MANY memorable stories.

3485073241_e345fbd780_o.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I was hoping I’d have a suggestion or two but I really have no problems getting around the site.

3485073185_8092c27cba_o.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

I’m a female Lightning owner and my first Lightning was a ’94.

3485886998_706b600767_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Eventually my loving and thoughtful husband will get around to doing some mods that’ll get me into the 12’s. But, first on the list are additional exhaust mods – maybe some longtubes? She’s still too quiet… I want to be heard! There’s also an Expy center console waiting to be installed as well as an electric fan. I would also like to have all of the black plastic trim painted body color. I’m more into show than go because I know the faster you go, the bigger chance that things are going to break. And, this truck is my little cream puff… my first-ever brand new vehicle!

3485886914_50aefeeeca_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

I would like to thank Dwight and ^Nan^ for the outstanding job you’ve done and continue to do with the club and website. Thank you also for all of the hard work you put into each and every one of the L Fests – some of my best memories were made while there. Thank you to my wonderful husband John for turning me onto this wonderful piece of machinery and for making me a Ford girl. Oh, and of course for opening your wallet whenever I want something (within reason, of course) for the truck! Thank you Brooks for the professional stereo installation in the pits of WFC8 – my ride home was a more enjoyable one because of you! Thank you Jason with Jason’s Auto Spa for the wonderful detail job – you made the truck look like she’d just been driven off the showroom floor. Thank you Mike with The Tintworks for the awesome tint job – you know, the one that after four years of having on the truck, landed me an equipment violation citation! And last but not least, THANK YOU ILLNESS for being such a great group of friends to John and I and for all of the memorable outings, events, H00ters get-togethers and non-stop laughter. There really never is a dull moment in the ILLNESS family!!!

3485887124_ac86d9b00d_o.jpg

Congratulations to Kimberly and her 2004 Sonic Blue Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, May 2009 !

Last edited:
congrats Kim, nice looking Lightning you got there,
and hurry up with the center console mod, you won't regret it.

congrats...... beautiful truck love the grille you have anyway you could tell me where can i buy it thanx

BEAUTIFUL TRUCK !!! Congrats !!

Love the pics !! :eek:ldtu:

I also have one of those Carriage Works Billet grilles waiting to be installed when I get the front-end fixed. They look awesome !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back