May 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congrats Jean ("Grade 8") Cedergreen (NLOC# 2167)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

May 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Jean ("Grade 8") Cedergreen (NLOC# 2167).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM hails from the Pacific Northwest. It takes a special woman to put up with a man and his toys, but it takes a really special woman to not only put up with his toys, but join the fun too...literally. And Jean has not only joined her husband, Scott (Skritch), in his love affair with these trucks...she's out done him because she owns 3 Lightning's to his 1, lol. This love affair for Lightning's isn't just between husband and wife...this is a family affair with her son Tom being the first in the family to own a Lightning. So, this Mother's Day we honor Jean—to include all the other mothers out there—and her son Tom for their contributions to the Lightning community. Thanks for being a part of the Lightning community and congrats on being May's Truck of The Month...Happy Mother's Day!

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Jean: My husband bought a Gen 2 in 2003 and started fiddling with it. We went to Lightning Fest at Topeka in 2004 in his Gen 2 just to spectate. Then, at the track, I saw the “Big Boys” go in their 9 –10 second Gen 1’s. I say, “That’s cool, I like that, what are those?” The earth moved somewhere in the world for my husband that day. As he explains, it’s a Gen 1 and how we have one that’s similar at home but it’s a 1989 F-150 and you know how much you like that truck. “Yes I do”, I said, “but it doesn’t go fast, I want one that goes fast!” And so it began…first with my white ’95….

….then I saw a white Super Cab, Bobby’s (Blue Oval Forever) Super Cab at Lightning Fest. After seeing the truck I asked my husband, “oh honey, can I have one of those?” Oh no, I couldn’t ask for diamonds or jewels, I had to ask for something real difficult to find ! With the help of Bobby, Keith (Copperhead), and Roy (Super Cab L) he found one for me in Tennessee.

Supercab1.jpg

Tom: My wife Sarah and I were looking for a new truck and we knew the History of the Lightning. It was powerful, fast and a good looking truck, just what would fit in our lifestyle. We started looking and found one that had been purchased at Bickford Ford in Snohomish, WA, A new engine was installed at 4400 miles, and then it was traded in to Porsche of Bellevue, WA. Porsche called Bickford and put it back on their lot. The day I saw it I stopped and test drove it. A friend and I drove it hard down some new roads and I knew I had to have it. Took Sarah to see it the next day she loved everything about it including the color True Blue. We bought it 2 days later.

32259-1306-25716.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

Jean: The Limo. After having been introduced to my husband he asked where I lived and could he have a date. I told him let me go get my limo and you can follow me to my house. I bounded out the door, jumped into my limo, started it up and roared out of the parking lot. I raced through town a couple of times (it’s a small town) before coming back to the parking lot where my future husband sat waiting for me. I don’t know what he was thinking but when I pulled up in front of him the limo was a 1962 Fairlane 4-door beater! He managed to follow me home and obviously the following date was successful.

100_1339.jpg

100_4440.jpg

Tom: My first car was a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, 2 door Hardtop, 318ci automatic. I lowered it so low that when I went over big bump to fast I would scrape the oil drain plug out of the oil pan. I think that I bought every wrecking yard oil pan for a 318 in the county, and became very good at changing them.

100_0233.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Jean
Go:
  • LFP 58”torque arm bars
  • QA1 shocks
  • The two half leafs removed from the rear spring pack
  • 3 inch dropped I beams
  • 18 inch Gen 2 wheels powdercoated hammer metal gray
  • Toyo Proxes tires; 255/55-18 front, 275/55-18 rear
  • 130-amp alternator
  • FMS tall chrome valve covers
  • TFS phenolic spacer
  • Accufab EGR blank spacer
  • K & N conical air filter
  • Powerdyne BD-11A centrifugal supercharger with Bosch BOV installed on discharge pipe
  • FMS 30lb fuel injectors
  • TwEECer with tuning by SStock Performance
  • FMS smog pump delete bracket
  • Flex-a-lite 295 electric fan with VSC controller
  • MSD 6 A ignition amp and coil
  • Taylor 8MM spiro core plug wires, Maid For You plug wire vertical hold downs, NGK TR6 plugs
  • Pi-Thon Hoselocks on upper radiator and heater hoses
  • Fumoto oil drain valve
  • Bassani equal length shorty headers with catless mid pipes
  • Custom fabricated catback using a Gen 2 muffler with twin tailpipes exiting underneath the rolled pan
  • Autometer Ultra Lite fuel pressure, boost/vacuum, and oil/coolant temp gauges in an Autometer 3 gauge A pillar pod

Engine16.jpg

Show:
  • “Ice white” tail light lenses
  • LED taillights bulbs w/ electronic flasher
  • LED backup light bulbs
  • Diamond clear headlights and park/turn lights
  • Sylvania Silverstar bulbs in the heads and fogs
  • LED license plate lights from Custom Dynamics Motorcycle Lights
  • CheckMate low lid hard tonneau cover
  • Stake pockets filled in the pickup bed
  • Tailgate handle shaved and moved to inside of tailgate
  • Rear roll pan
  • Kenwood audio head with 10 disc CD changer
  • Honda “Sub-Woofer system” installed under the center seat
  • One piece front Lightning floor mat from the NLOC Merchandise store
  • Bedrug
  • Tinted side and rear windows
  • Flying eyeball antenna topper

Supercab_rear_lights.jpg

Tom: We are one of the few that have put a Color Matched ARE Canopy on our truck. We also have a Keystone Ram Air Hood with cold air box, Pearl Blue Ghost Flames, and Pickerel Cat back exhaust.

32259-1307-26156.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Jean: I cried when I saw it. We met the previous and original owner David in Oklahoma City to pick up the truck. He lives in eastern Tennessee and was nice enough to drive it to OKC and meet us there then flew back home to Tennessee. We were very thankful for his efforts as it saved us 1000 miles on our trip. I cried again coming through Sacramento, CA. It was rush hour pouring down rain in the dark trying to follow the tail lights in front of me. It was a good thing we didn’t have two way radios at the time because the tears weren’t of joy but angst!

supercab_pic_side.jpg

Tom: We use our Lightning during the summer to haul Race support equipment for NSRA Srintcar Series. We travel almost 8000 miles a summer. The first year we loaded the bed with equipment and would have to unload it at the hotel, reload in the morning, unload after an 18 hour day, you get the picture. This is the reason for the canopy. After the third year we bought another truck just so we could keep the mileage off of the Lightning. 30000 mile in three years was a lot of use.

32259-1307-26150.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

Jean: I’m very married to a wonderful man, Scott, 29 years now. He knows what’s good for me weather I believe him or not. I’m the devil's advocate when he spends money for horsepower; they have to equal each other. I have two sons, Scott raised Tom, and the ex raised the other. There are two granddaughters, the oldest is a sophomore in college, the youngest graduates from high school in June. I worked in a custom meat shop doing everything but cut kill and carry the meat that came in the back door off the kill truck. Then I moved into the retail grocery meat department as a meat wrapper and later into the lunchmeat/cheese section of the meat dept. After 20 years of that I retired. I enjoy designing and building with wood. I was going to build the cabinets for the shop but we found they were cheaper to buy. The crown molding in our house is a love/hate affair! Seems I need to help my two guys troubleshoot the trucks from time to time. I always start off by saying, “This may be just a dumb girl question, but….” At least it makes them think a little harder ! Craigslist is my new best friend; I’m always finding good stuff to buy. Snow blower for Scott, rototiller for my garden, side by side refer for Scott’s shop, and another for my garage, etc.

Rims.jpg

Tom: My name is Tom Root, 35 years old, married to my wonderful wife Sarah for seven years, no Kids but a bunch of toys. Our hobbies are mostly Auto related. Both of us are Officials with the NSRA Sprintcar Series in the Pacific NW. NSRA Racing, and we both have a love of cars. Right now we have the 02 Lightning, 05 Audi A-6, 99 Audi A-6, 97 Ford Ranger Extra-Cab 4x4, and a 60's style Modified Racecar under restoration. I am also learning to fly Helicopters as a new profession, currently I am employed as an auto-technician for the past 12 year at the same shop.

100_4386.jpg

100_6733.jpg

100_4202.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

Jean: I lurked for about a year and a half then joined NLOC in July of 2006. I joined to help support the organization of NLOC. It runs the cleanest, mostly respectful board I have found, with topnotch moderators to help keep it that way. The information on our trucks on the NLOC is second to NONE!

Rear5.jpg

Tom: I became a member 11-16-2004, NLOC is the best Lightning community, and information service hands down.

100_5511.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Jean: It works fine for me. When the format changes it takes awhile to adjust but if the changes help keep the spam, virus’ and hackers out, it’s a good thing. I know change isn’t always easy for some of us. But we must keep ahead so the next generation thinks we’re still cool.

Interior3.jpg

Tom: I think it is great the way it is.

28971-1002-20292.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Jean: Because I didn’t like the names Scott was coming up with for the personalized plate on my first Gen 1. It’s a white ’95. It’s the same as my screen name.

Both_Gen_1s.jpg

Tom: Tom n Sarah pretty simple isnt it.

28971-1300-25733.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Jean: Most of the parts have been assembled for a roller cam conversion but other than that I consider it my “Cadillac”. It doesn’t race, it doesn’t tow, and it just cruises.

Burnout4.jpg

Tom: Still want to lower it, different wheels and tires, ported blower, some tuning. Basic stuff not to crazy.

32259-1306-26963.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together??

Jean: My sweetie Scott, son Tom for being my personal mechanic and encouraging Dad to tear into it. Tom’s wife Sarah for letting him come up to Mom and Dad’s house to play. The motley crew from WashLO, especially Dale (Bad as L), Steve (Super Glide), Jeff (e9tac), Jon (SLVRLTNG), Bill (WashTruBlu), Francis (Bafi20), and Carson (cschlamp) for their camaraderie and shenanigans! Last but not least, Dwight and the family of NLOC members across America that have developed into lifetime friendships.

Buss.jpg

Tom: My wife for agreeing to Get it in the first place and, Superglide for the Exhaust and PCV System. And last but not least...my mom.

28971-1300-26260.jpg

Congratulations and Happy Mother's Day to Jean and her 1994 White Gen 1 (Supercab) Truck of the Month, May 2009!

Winner_Gen_1_mild.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Jean and Tom....Well deserved choice for TOTM's... You guys are a great a$ $et to the Lighting community.....:scared1: :thumbup: :? ;)

Congrats Jean and Tom! The trucks are AWESOME! :thumbup:

The last pic brought a twinge to my heart. :heart: :sigh:

...Dwight...

Congrats Jean and Tom!

But you still didn't give us an answer....

Jean: Because I didn’t like the names Scott was coming up with for the personalized plate on my first Gen 1. It’s a white ’95. It’s the same as my screen name.

I'm assuming it's because Grade 8 is a Tough Bolt/nut :?

congrats Jean & Tom---2 well deserved people with the most fun trucks on the planet---i like dwight liked the last pic---you next to Nan with BIG SMILES on-----------(also me & donald in the back ground)---again congrats to the both of you

dave

The last pic brought a twinge to my heart. :heart: :sigh:

...Dwight...

Me also, I was left speechless and suffering from wet eye syndrome when I saw that picture. I am honored to be chosen TOTM, but I will always be grateful to have met,laughed with and enjoyed the company of that fine woman Nan Dolliver. So having said that I am dedicating this TOTM to her for Mothers Day.

Jean Grade 8

But you still didn't give us an answer....

I'm assuming it's because Grade 8 is a Tough Bolt/nut :?

Alright Willie, the lie is Grade 8 is the last grade I attended in school spread it around. The truth is Tough Bolt.

Jean (Tough Bolt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back