March 2009 Gen 2 Truck of the Month-Congrats to Steve "Syck 01L" Raue! (NLOC #1381)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

March 2009 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Steve (Syck 01L) Raue ! (NLOC #1381)

Steve, with wife Jan, reside in the great state of Wisconsin. Steve has a couple of great, though scheming, golfing buddies that helped him into ownership of his Lightning. He relates the story in his article. Shortly after he became a proud owner of the best ever sport truck the Illinois local chapter of NLOC, ILLNESS, invited him down to Byron Dragway causing the mods to begin. Steve and Jan have been adopted by ILLNESS making most all local chapter functions. His truck is well known throughout the Midwest as a result of the custom paint applied to the flanks of his Lightning and their enjoyment of traveling. Read on to learn more about Steve’s truck and join in the congratulations to Syck 01L and his Lightning !

3312670967_e19654fe9c_b.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I've been a Ford guy all my life. I've always said, "if you cut me I'll bleed Ford Blue". I've had an F-150 for a work truck for about thirty years and when I saw the first article for the Gen 1 I knew someday I would own a Lightning.

3313502188_5e80fc89ea_b.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I've had some interesting vehicles over the years, the problem is I still own most of them. We have a 55 Ford Sedan Delivery that my wife has never seen in person, only in a few pictures. Jan and I were both married once before and I bought the 55 before we were married. She pays the storage rent each year but she has never actually seen the vehicle.
We have a 68 Mustang fastback that is in various stages of being re-done but has not seen the light of day in around 15 years. We bought a 60 T-Bird three years ago. Nice driver but needed a lot of TLC. I spent all winter on it re-doing this and detailing that with the idea of selling it in Spring. It really turned out nice and now she won't let me sell it!
We also have an 83 5.0 HO 5spd Mustang convert that is about 90% original with only 71K on it that we pull around behind the motorhome when we travel. All but the 55 and the 68 are at home along with the L and Jan's daily driver a {yuk} Pacifica.

3313501928_22ae0b25ef_b.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

When I bought the 01L it had 13K on it and was stock. It had the A.R.E cover and spoiler on it and the Bed Rug was installed. The first thing I did to it was have my paint guy do the paint and stripes. I knew how I wanted it done but I didn't know what colors to use. YZ, my paint guy, showed me a 99 Suburban he had done with the same colors and that's all it took. The next Spring is when I met the ILLNESS crew and the mods began!!

Go:

C&L elbow and plenum
90mm SBTB
Driveshaft loop
K&N air filter
Lakewood Trac Bars
FTVB
Hoosier slicks
Ported SC
American Racing Wheels
6" lower pulley
Line Loc
E-Fan
Magna Flo Cat Back

Show:

YZ's paint, custom Black Granit panels under the hood, door and dash panels are called Blackwood.

3313502946_ffa54cb292_b.jpg

3312673833_15facdb09d_b.jpg

3313503014_836c79ee67_b.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

How I ended up with the L is a different story. I had a nice white ‘99 F-150 all tricked out, lowered, pipes and painted stripes at the time. Two of my golfing buddies just happen to own the Ford dealership here in Watertown. They were in Milwaukee on a dealer trade when they saw the ’01 L. They took one look at it and said to each other, "if we take it back with us Steve will buy it”. I saw them at the golf course that very afternoon and they told me to stop at the lot on my way home to see what they had brought back with them. They wouldn't tell what it was, just to stop. When I drove into the lot and saw the L I told the sales manager to put a hold on it and went home to get Jan. We went back and after a little begging she said OK. I bought it the next morning. It had sat on the lot a total of 16 hours. My son, Justin, bought my 99 a few days later.

3313501004_af4d6ca109_b.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I'm 60 years old, I may be getting older, I just refuse to grow up. Jan and I have been married for 18 years and have four grown kids, Tonja, Jason, Danielle { Danie } and Justin. Between the four of them we have ten wonderful Grandkids, 8 girls and 2 boys. I work for a large electric utility here in Wisconsin working high voltage as a Troubleshooter. I'm the guy they call when the power goes out or a pole gets knocked off by some drunk at bar time. It gets pretty interesting at times. You don't have to be crazy to do what I do, but it does help!!! I'm an avid golfer, not good, but I do love the game. Jan and I also love to jump into the motorhome and just get away. Some of our best trips were at the spur of the moment and just point the motorhome in a direction and go. And then there's drag racing. I hadn't been to a track in thirty years until the ILLNESS crew told me to come down to Byron Dragway one Sunday. They adopted this old Cheesehead and I've been hooked ever since.

3313500410_eb2b50de7d_b.jpg

3313502354_da492fff91_b.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

Don't remember who told me about the website but I started following it in August 2003 and joined in December 2003. I just felt joining was the right thing to do to support a great website. The info is fantastic and the people of NLOC are the nicest you could ever meet.

3312672317_ae0472b049_b.jpg

3312672479_e02054ca26_b.jpg

3313501740_aef0933c29_b.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Wouldn't change a thing. I only wish I knew how to use all the features of the site that are available now. Maybe one of my Grandkids can show me?

3313501928_22ae0b25ef_b.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

I started watching a TV show called American Chopper and Paul Jr. always used the term "that's sick" when something turned out nice or looked good. I kind of like that but changed it to "syck" because I'm also a big fan of the rock band STYCKS. The 01L is self explanatory.

3313615030_3caee657e6_b.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

The L is my daily driver. I use it for work every day or night, rain, snow, or whatever. I set out to make it a 12 second daily driver and have accomplished that, 12.43 @ 107.8. I do have a whole new fuel system to install and an SCT 2400 but that's about it. I don't want to screw up the drivability on it. For looks, maybe a set of 20's but that's not approved yet!

Winter trim
3313500326_a6b78b8ff7_b.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

I could not have done the L without Jan's support and help. She loves to go racing with me and seeing all our friends at the tracks but she also knows when to rein me in when I start to go a little overboard on a project. What can I say about the ILLNESS crew? They're the best!!! We have a great time when we're together and if you need help they're always right there for you. This year was pretty rough for us as we lost two wonderful people but with everyones support and love we will all get through it. Life goes on and true friends really do help.
A big thanks to my tuner Marv from C&M Performance in Hubertus, WI. He puts the L on the dyno and does his magic. All I have to do is cut a good light, stand on the gas and go.
Also thanks to all our friends from all over who stop and say Hi at WFC or at L-Fest, sorry we missed this year, hope to see you all at the NMRA in Joliet in July, it should be a blast. See you all there!!!

3313502480_608976e265_b.jpg

3312672929_3cab0fd8ba_b.jpg

Congratulations to Steve Raue and his 2001 Black Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, March 2009 !

Last edited:
Congratulations Steve. It's always a pleasure to see you and your truck at the few Illness gatherings I'm able to make it to. I'll be trying to make it to Byron more often this year.

Congrats! I love all the custom things you have done to make it your own. It looks to be in amazing condition for a daily driver.

Oh, and the TOTM pics on the NLOC home page needs to be updated with your pic now.

hey Steve-----bout time----congrats-------looking good as always---

by the way---look for me & vern to be in madison in june----hot rod power tour

litnindave

Congrats Steve and Jan,
A well deserved honor. I love the custom paint on your L.

Thanks

Thank you all!! As I type this Jan and I are in the motorhome just west of Albuquerque NM. on our way home, and this is the first good internet connection we've had for 5 days. It means alot to see your peers appreciate your work and ideas.
Thanks again, Steve

Don't forget Jolliet!!!!:tu::3g::clinkmugs

Man yer OLD:blink: J/K I am 50 going on 80 STYCKS ??? Just saw Styx/ Journey and REO last year //// Killer concert Nice truck like the color combo congrats man!!

I'm impressed. That's a pretty truck man. Make sure you tune for that BA2400. I've been told to get the 60#ers when you change over to the 2400 because they usually come hand in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back