made a couple shakedown passes

OUTLAW Lightning

Formerly 383svt
yesterday I went down to atco with my race truck and made a few passes.
I have new boost referenced carbs running a little smaller than last year, new ladder bar suspension and front drag shocks and springs.
I went hoping to be in the 10's but that didn't happen.
I was going to take it easy and make sure the suspension worked and went straight.

We were pulling out .5* timing per pound of boost and running mid to low 11 air fuel levels compared to no timing retard last year and 12.5 a/f's last year. on the dyno we were down about 50 hp from before and we fattened it up some for the cold weather since then too.
only got 2 passes. first pass it fell flat on its face right after the foot brake launch. let out of it got back in it, fell on its face again, backed out and got in it again and eased it down the track to a 12.6 @ 121.94

next pass it did the same thing, but I got in it heavier once it cleared out and it ran a 12.39 @ 128.66
it was also smoking the last couple hundred feet. I think it may have been a little tranny fluid leaking that caused the smoke. for that, I didn't make any more passes. I also found that a boost reference vacuum line for the carbs had come disconnected. I don't know when that happened, but maybe that was causing the carb problem, not sure.
But anyway I am happy with the mph. I am sure there is a 9 second pass in it once we get the carbs right. on my 10.33 pass last year, my mph was 130.
I can't believe 2 seconds slower, but almost the same mph.
I also have 1.5" shorter tires and a lower first gear.

what do you guys analyze out of this?
Jody

Last edited:
Jody, I'm glad you got your ride back, as for the issue with the runs, the boost referenced carbs, and bear with me here I believe that means the secondaries are vac. controlled and adjusted via the boost applied, correct? If the vac line was disconnected wouldn't that not allow the secondaries to operate correctly, read-a starving or flooded motor which would cause the truck to fall over. Todd

I am not sure how the boost referenced carbs work, but once it cleared out in first gear and got moving the rest of first through third were fine.

Back