LMR Gen 1 Wheel Cap Review/Comparison

mks8882

I ordered a couple of the LMR reproduction wheel caps and thought I would do a comparison for those of you thinking about buying some.

The first two that arrived had several scratches on them. However, LMR promptly replaced them.

Overall, the reproductions are very close to the originals. The biggest difference is the color. The originals are a little darker and have metal flake in them. Original is on the left.

The underside is almost identical:

The metal ring on the LMR cap is slightly bigger than the original.

Because of this, I can almost guarantee you will have to crimp it together to make it smaller. I had to do this on all of mine. I found that if you crimp it to the point where it rests on all of the tabs except one, the cap will snap in and fit snugly.

The LMR reproductions are definitely a good alternative to hunting down originals. Due to the color difference, I would suggest replacing them in pairs (on the same side). Otherwise, you will notice the difference front to back. If you have polished wheels, these blend in better than the darker originals.

Last edited:
Do they have the little plastic piece off the back that goes into one of the holes in the rim to keep it from rotating?

They do. In the second picture of the underside, you can kind of see it near the bottom.

Last edited:
So, did you have to return the scratched up ones? I have a fifth wheel (spare) that I'd like to have a cap for, and don't care much if its scratched.

I bought a set of these caps with the intention of having them chromed to go with my polished wheels. They actually matched the wheels so good I just ran them the way they came.

7e4d0754890ce20609f0234ccc21455b.jpg

6d934ad0f7a9c3dc1e3af1af849d453f.jpg

f5dbd11b2e6fbcaa3607dfba81afbef8.jpg

I bought a set of these caps with the intention of having them chromed to go with my polished wheels. They actually matched the wheels so good I just ran them the way they came.

Jamie ... and guys,

For future reference and if the need arises, these products turn out a very nice finish that very closely matches the factory center cap finish.

Thanks guys. Mine has black spline drive on it now. The black is wearing off. I almost think the po had painted them black. I see Dorman offers a couple of different ones. I have to say the black ones looked nice with the black center cap.

Jamie, I had the same thing in mind and they blended in so well I decided it wasn't worth having them chromed.

Original Cap

LMR Cap

Last edited:
Back