Little A/C project to cool things down

slow94

So my truck has had a misfire that I can't track down which is making me want to burn the truck to the ground lol. So, I figured why not try and cool myself off better. I was doing some random research and it turns out if you bypass the heater core then you can get a small bump in AC performance. Also, these trucks came with a reflective/insulative wrap on the AC/evaporator box which of course mine has been gone for a long time. So, I replaced it today and I will say that those 2 things had the truck nice and cold. I didn't take direct before and after temps but I know based on previous measurements that it was at least at 5-6 degree temp drop at the vents. Measured as cold as 43 degrees on a drive and after idling for some time with 200 degree water temps my vent temp never got over 50 degrees. That is with about 92 degree ambient temps and a lot of south Carolina humidity. Definitely a worth while mod if comfort is a priority.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Oh yea man! I know it makes a huge difference! I used a heater cut off valve for a 95 ford explorer on mine that works off of vacuum. Teed into the max door vacuum solenoid so works only when turned to max. Works perfectly. I’ll get some pics for you this weekend. Costs about $25. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea man! I know it makes a huge difference! I used a heater cut off valve for a 95 ford explorer on mine that works off of vacuum. Teed into the max door vacuum solenoid so works only when turned to max. Works perfectly. I’ll get some pics for you this weekend. Costs about $25. Well worth it.

I actually saw those in my research but just figured to bypass with what I got. Didnt cost me anything and it cleaned up some lines too. Luckily I almost never need to use the heater so I may just leave it bypassed for good. I'm much happier with the performance of AC now though!

I was going to tell you to get a bypass valve from an Explorer so you can have the best of both worlds, but someone beat me to it.

The defroster part of no heat might be an issue.
True but again rarely used here. Honestly in winter I will probably just hook it back up if I plan to use it. But heck even in winter here I will often use the AC inside the truck sometimes.

I actually have to run my temperature gauge up to just shy of halfway to keep from having ice form on my sunglasses.... I couldn't bypass my heater core!

Can you buy a kit for the evaporator wrap? It's gone on both of my trucks.

I actually have to run my temperature gauge up to just shy of halfway to keep from having ice form on my sunglasses.... I couldn't bypass my heater core!

Can you buy a kit for the evaporator wrap? It's gone on both of my trucks.
Not sure if there is a kit. I just use stuff from AutoZone made by DEI. Think was called heat screen. It's 0.65" thick of fiberglass with an aluminized sheet on top to block radiant heat. There are a few different products out there.

Hmmm, Ill have to look into that heat insulation too if I ever see my truck again. I had the A/C put back on the truck but it didn't blow very cold. It was converted to R-134a, are you still running R-12 somehow?

I recently replaced the A/C system on an '87 Bronco with '94-up parts.

Attachments

• 20230707_160303.jpg
    20230707_160303.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230707_161524.jpg
    20230707_161524.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230707_191642.jpg
    20230707_191642.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 20
Not sure if there is a kit. I just use stuff from AutoZone made by DEI. Think was called heat screen. It's 0.65" thick of fiberglass with an aluminized sheet on top to block radiant heat. There are a few different products out there.

That’s similar to what I used. I pulled the original off and made a template with it. Then cut out of aluminized insulation. Works great! AC pulls down to 38° -42° depending on situation

Some adhesive type heat shield I put on mine, about 10 years ago. Got it off of ebay, no issues, still holding strong and A/C is cold.Heat Shield.jpg

I was going to tell you to get a bypass valve from an Explorer so you can have the best of both worlds, but someone beat me to it.

I grabbed one of the heater control valves, do you have reference pic of where you spliced it? I was thinking about using those power grip shrink clamps so it looks in place.

I grabbed one of the heater control valves, do you have reference pic of where you spliced it? I was thinking about using those power grip shrink clamps so it looks in place.
I never actually installed mine. I was going to use it on my gen 2 for the intercooler lines and decided I didn't want to intermingle those two systems.

24c317683fae6d65e8c7a8beb726548b.jpg

Back