Lightning restoration

Nazgul

Black Rider
My cousin, who has the twin of my L, just sent me this link.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/Ford-Lightning

They bought the grey seat covers several months ago, said they were just like stock.

They also have black seat covers, black 'Lightning' floor mats, and black (only?!) carpet, plus black '01-'02 wheels in 18" and 20" and smoked tail lights. I guess they know what color is popular! :hide:

I looked again, and they also have silver and chrome wheels in both sizes. :tu

Last edited:
LMRs stuff is top notch. I had bought a few L items before selling the G1. All the Fox Body stuff Ive bought from them has been good quality and fit.
I wouldnt hesitate to say the seat covers are likely good quality as Im pretty sure they sell the TMI products.

I just bought decals for my truck from them, should be here next week!

Last edited:
I took the stickers off originally. Now that I'm getting some body work done, I want the stock look again. I have an original sealed tailgate sticker that I can compare the ones I ordered from LMR against. I'll post pics next week.

Skritch did some good comparisons on the decals. The LMR are ok, but the Lightning Force are top notch repros. BUT>>> Neither set prisims like the OEMS.

Hey fellas! :) Finally got back on here after taking a few years off. Thought I'd check in.

Ran into Fireguy from SoCal at the track here last week, looks like he's a local here now, too. That Indianapolis pull!

Just wanted to say "Hello!" We really miss California (especially in January)...

Jeff

Hey fellas! :) Finally got back on here after taking a few years off. Thought I'd check in.

Ran into Fireguy from SoCal at the track here last week, looks like he's a local here now, too. That Indianapolis pull!

Just wanted to say "Hello!" We really miss California (especially in January)...

Jeff

Good to hear from you Jeff!

Hope all is well with the family, I read that you have a little girl now? Congrats!!

Alex

Jeff

Hey! I know you! Still live within shouting distance of the racetrack?? I always thought you'd be back here by now...Give us an update on the professor, the pooch,l and what you've been up to.

Paul

We thought we'd be back there, too! It was definitely our goal, and it remains our intentions.

Cherie is doing well, working hard, plus competing with the dogs (Addy is still around, but getting pretty rickety, Kennah, the middle dog, will be competing at the USDAA Nationals next week, and Maevie, the pup, is an amazing athlete and can clear a 4' chain link fence without touching it - much to my chagrin). We have a little girl now - she's 3, going on 16, and of course she's beautiful, brilliant and charming - though usually not all 3 at the same time. Cherie wants another one, but I'm politely declining given that I'm about to turn 50! I got my small block truck back on the road last year after having it sit with the motor out for 5 years. I also started on another project and got a junkyard 5.3 warmed up and installed in an S10 Blazer. It's a fun little ride and I'm trying to do it as a budget/"junkyard" build.

So what's new in the Bay Area? Cherie comes out pretty regularly (her dad has ALS, so she's trying to get as much time in as she can), and I get to stay home and dog sit.

I remember Cherie's dad. I'm sorry to hear about him having ALS.

When our Rottie died, I thought we'd never have another dog. One day I came home and my mom was there. She had just given Margaret her less-than-year-old Yorkshire Terror. Seriously. I could have strangled that dog several times during its first couple of years with us. Then, a few years ago, my daughter's friend's Border Collies had pups. Seems the mother and daughter both went into heat at the same time, and dad got them both. My daughter wanted one of the pups, and asked us to drive her out to the ranch to look at them. Margaret's brother came too. They both decided to take one. While they decided which, I was playing with the other pups. As I held one, Laura (my daughter) asked me, if I was to get another dog, what would I name it. Without thinking, I said 'Shelby.' Then she asked me if that was 'Shelby' I was holding. I looked at the pup in my hands, and thought, OMG, if I don't take this dog I will always wonder what happened to 'Shelby.' So, again, I had a dog I never thought I'd have. Shelby and her sister Magpie (the one Laura picked) just turned 4 in Sept. Margaret's brother picked a boy from their sister's/father's litter, Pepe. You can tell he's inbred by the way he acts. Or maybe that's from living with my brother-in-law.

Personally, I retired in Dec. 2004. In late 2007 I wanted a Shelby GT500 so bad I could taste it. I called around to the local dealers, and all wanted $10,000-$20,000 over sticker, which at the time was $43k. I refused to give them $20k just because they wanted it, so we took the $63k and looked around for something else. I ended up picking up a 2008 Corvette convertible at the Nat. Corvette Museum on my birthday. I wanted a Z06 because I liked the widebody look, but I wanted a convertible more. In 2010 they came out with the Grand Sport, a wide-body like the Z06, but with the base engine and available in coupe or convertible. I considered trading mine in for a couple of years, then bought the 'kit' from online dealers and made mine into a widebody.

Remember the Wilwood brakes you helped me install in your garage? I just got a new TCE 16" kit that will fill out my 20" replica wheels. Will install them soon. Black powdercoated rotors, blue powdercoated 6-piston calipers. I took my L on road courses, Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Buttonwillow, and the Wilwoods were the best thing I did to the L. Haven't done that since I retired, and probably never will again, so committed to the large brakes/wheels mainly for the shows.

Margaret is still working; self-employed, contracted to several airlines out of Oakland Airport, delivering delayed luggage. She loves it, and doesn't want to retire. But I drag her away from time to time for a cruise or short trip. Or long one--we're driving to Glacier Nat'l Park next year, and considering driving the Vette to Carlisle, PA. Marg tells me my dog is the only Shelby I'll ever own, but when her new Explorer is paid off I'd like to find a used GT500 (Yeah, still aching for one!).

Regarding a second child, go with Cherie. Its not too late. I mean, your first is only three. Three years won't make a big difference later. Margaret and I regret not having a second child when Laura was that age. We had enough love to share, and we're sure it would have benefited Laura as she grew up. When my stepdad died, Laura and Kathryn, my daughter from my first marriage, really connected for the first time. Since then, Laura has regretted not growing up with Kat around, and I know having a sibling would have helped her socially more. So at least consider it.

Maybe other members can give you their updates, or introduce themselves to you.

16" rotors... seriously...

When I was looking for my Gen 2 back in 2000, the dealerships in CA were nuts. They wanted that big mark-up and I told them I wouldn't even discuss that, they said, "The next guy in the door will be happy to pay it." So I bought mine online for a couple of grand under sticker and had it shipped enclosed for $700 if I remember correctly. Way, way smarter than dealing with the California dealerships; too much money out there and they've lost their good sense.

I love the way the 2015+ Mustangs look, but Ford has lost their collective mind on the price tag, in my opinion!

I've gone through a series of BMWs, staring with a 335i coupe that was my favorite car I've ever owned. After Amelia arrived, Cherie asked me to get a sedan (she drives an EcoBoost Flex that I've tweaked a little) so we didn't always have to take her car places and I showed up with a... ummm... competition package M3 sedan. VERY fun car, but absolutely and completely worthless if there was even the thought of snow, and pretty much overkill for Indiana (No Patterson Pass or PCH type roads here to enjoy, and very limited road course activities). So, I grew up slightly and got rid of it and got a 550i to be my daily. It's a little too nice for my taste, so I'm looking to get into a manual transmission 335i sedan that I can mod a bit.

Cherie was an only child until she was 12, so she kind of echos your thoughts. However, she's 46 years old herself and everything about her last pregnancy was high risk (Except the fact that she got pregnant the moment we thought about trying, it seems). Amelia arrived 6 weeks early, too. So, my thoughts revolve around that and how badly I think it would impact Cherie emotionally (to say nothing of physically) if things went badly.

Sadly, I doubt my latest projects will ever see California, though I guess I could technically get the Blazer in if I put cats on it and swapped back to the stock cam. I finally took all the smog legal stuff off the Lightning last year and I'm in the process of converting it to AEM EFI.

With this project having fallen out of favor, I'm sitting on a set of Silver over Blue TC6R front calipers for this full blown 16" kit.

If anyone wishes to see this build completed with them please get in touch with me so we can use them up. They look GREAT, but I don't need them... lol!

Normally this 16" kit runs $2997 plus $250 for the custom pc color work. Let's talk.

Back