Lightning Pulley Trick

D

d1mukai

I no longer have a lightning but this is a very cheap trick i came across that gave me about 0.2 off my times.

The pulley arrangement uses only the main crank, alternator, and water pump. Its been a long time since i put the belt on so if you have any questions email me. Ill see if i can help...

first, install a stock mustang crank pulley, 87-93;

second, belt length, i cant quiet remember, either 39.75 or just over 40 inches, basically 1/2 the oringal belt;

third, remove the old belt, the shorty will run "teeth" down on the "dead" pulley.

The fit on the tension pullley was pretty tight but it worked. You can use smaller crank pulleys, but i found out it the hard way it didnt spin the alternator fast enough.
YOU MUST put a towel with a plastic-tie over the power steering cap to keep it from burping.

If you need another belt, just return them. The guy at NAPA laughed because i went thru almost 10 belt/pulley combos till i got it to work. You will notice a BIG difference, i promise. In about 1 minute you can be ready to go. At the Fun Ford weekend in houston in 1994, i was running between 0.2-0.3 tenths faster then the rest of the stock trucks.

Let me know if you have any questions....

I am trying to find old copies of Super Ford. Does anyone know where i can find some? Thanks........Billy

Thanks Billy. Im already set up for track assaults with a similar set-up. The belt goes around the A/C pulley but bypasses the P/S and the smog is gone anyways. So the belt goes; crank, tensioner, alt, idler pulley, A/C, water pump. The A/C just free wheels when its off. This set-up lets the belt run the ribs facing the proper direction.
Rod K.

------------------
Rod K.
93 Lightning #1529
14.331 @ 93.61 so far..
98 SVT Contour E1 #5782

Back