Lightning and 454ss

93SVT

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Some of my questions might be goggle questions and I apologise for that but how many 454 were made compared to lightnings? The 454 seems to be much rarer to me in any little searching I've done looking for one. It might be terrible to say around here but I think it could be nice to own one.

Anyone around here ever own both? Again, I'm sorry if it's a cardinal sin to mention that here. I guess my real quotation is are they notoriously more rare/expensive these days compared to ours?

I have both. Currently my 90' SS has a hurt motor. I have it all apart and ready for a little money to get it back together. I honestly like my Ford a little more. For some reasons the Chevys bring more money though. I'm looking forward to getting my 454 going again. I converted to a carb but still have everything to put it stock again. The Chevy guys for some reason get a little too excited about the later models being white with a blue or grey interior or this or that. mines a 90' and the most common regular black with red interior.

Cool thanks for the replies. Glad to see I didn't get run out of here for this thread haha. When I got my 93L in 2001 a Judy had a 93? SS and it was pretty sweet truck. I spent a few minutes looking at classifieds recently and I think I saw nothing but 1990 and they were all $$$$. Doesn't the 1990 have a different trans then the the 91-93? Any other differences besides color combos?

Maybe one day I'll join the having both club

The early SS had a TH400 transmission. The later trucks got OD. I've got similar wheel time in both (which isn't much). I think they both have their merits. The SS is more nose heavy and really was designed to do nothing but go straight. I think the L is more fun overall.

I wouldn't mind getting one for myself if the price is right, but they are too proud of the 454SS trucks for what they are in my opinion. I may think different if I was a chevy guy vs Ford tho.

I think the value delusions on the SS are just because it's a big block. Every collector vehicle in history is believed to be worth more with a big block and the SS is no different.

The early SS had a TH400 transmission. The later trucks got OD. I've got similar wheel time in both (which isn't much). I think they both have their merits. The SS is more nose heavy and really was designed to do nothing but go straight. I think the L is more fun overall.

Best part is they were slower then the lightnings too 😂😂😂

I would much rather have an Emerald Green Ram SS/T with Silver stripes on the hood/cab/tailgate. Only a 16.2 1/4 mile, better looking than a 454SS IMO.

454 SS = 16,953 total production ('90-'93)

Gen 1 Lightning = 11,563 total production ('93-'95)

These are the numbers I saw as well in my little bit of research which makes it weirder to me that they seem so rare. I mean you don't see an L at every corner lot for sale but it seems you can find some if you want

I guess like another poster may have been alluding to that the 454 we run to hell and back and didn't survive.

They have a cool factor, but compare the interior. The 454 was still stuck in the 80's ugly bench seat, ugly dash/cluster. Nothing sporty about it as far as interior goes!

I think there cool, but not in anyway up to a Lightning stock for stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, rather than having one of each, Id rather have a number of one.....

4081878687_8c95a13232_b.jpg

3485947956_92e38ddd90_b.jpg

5579296146_cc5d5a8c1b_b.jpg

15320191569_2e2e1f1ffc_b.jpg

3271041447_f45f1647e5_b.jpg

Scott

I think the only real advantage the 454SS has is the cubes. With just a little bit of work you can really wake them up. Some guys that really work hard on their combination have built 13 second trucks with little more than bolt ons and slicks.

I think the only real advantage the 454SS has is the cubes. With just a little bit of work you can really wake them up. Some guys that really work hard on their combination have built 13 second trucks with little more than bolt ons and slicks.

Hence why there are so few around these days.

No bench seats in any real 454ss trucks.

For all years?

Just two seats? Ive see many with what they call split bench iirc?

A family friend has a white one not sure of the year, but he has all blue interior.. He said it was a California edition making it even more rare..

Nice truck for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back