LED gauge swap making me want to kick puppies

So I've seen on the forums where guys were swapping their dash bulbs for leds and decided this was definitely something I needed to tear right into without thinking about it.

So here I am, on my second attempt and they're still only lightning up behind the speedometer. All other bulbs are tight and snapped in. But no work. A couple random ones at the bottom work, but no others behind the needles.

please help or I'm afraid I'm going to go on a hulk like rampage and just start ripping out wires and taking hostages
2ab0717f1641a06b462cafea2f9449a5.jpg

The troublemaker in question

Not sure the exact bulbs you are using, but if possible try reversing there polarity. That's usually the issue when putting LEDs.

From the looks of those, yeah just take them out and spin them 180. LEDs, unlike a regular bulbs, have + and - so it has to be oriented correctly to light up. If that doesn't work you may have bad units or other issues.

How hard was this to do? How much time does it take to get the gauge cluster out to get to the bulbs? This is something I was thinking of doing, since I night, I can barely see the top half of my gauges.

Flat head screw driver to two trim pieces beside wheel.

Two 7mm screws holding dash panel.

Two clips- one for fuel tanks, one for fog lights on either side.

White gear section cable routes below wheel. It has a loop over a nipple on the right side. Slide the loop over the nipple. You'll see a piece of plastic all thread rod going through a nut horizontally holding the cable in place. Unscrew it.

Four 7mm bolts holding in cluster.

Three clips In back of cluster, be sure to grab both sides, they are in there very tight.

Twist out old bulbs. Put in new ones.

Plug back in. Reverse bulbs that don't light up.

Repeat steps in reverse order.

Doesn't sound too bad. Did you have to remove the "green film" from the gauge panel, or will the LED's still shine through as blue.

Post some pics when you are done. Curious to see what it looks like. The ones Brett posted looked awesome.

Back