July 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Mike Jones "MJ351" (NLOC# 1174)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

July 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Mike Jones "MJ351" (NLOC# 1174).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM features a pristine '95. Mike Jones is a "ragman" guru and it shows in the attention to detail his truck exhibits...pictures don't do this truck justice. Mike is a huge asset to the Lightning community by contributing help to other members, tech advice, and coordinating Lightning Fest 6. Thanks for all your hard work Mike and congrats for being July’s Truck of The Month--come out and meet Mike and see his truck at LFest 6!

Frontshot.JPG

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I have been a lifetime Ford fan. In 1992 I purchased a ’92 F-150 supercab. The body style change in ’92 was a huge improvement. As my luck would have it the Lightning was released not long after I got that truck. I waited almost 10 years before I finally took the plunge and bought #1679 in early 2003.

Me_truck.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I was a Mustang owner for years, I had a ‘64-1/2 coupe, a ’69 fastback and a ’71 Grande'. The first two were seat of the pants cars, no frills doorslammers. The ’71 Grande' was a classy go fast car with lots of goodies. It had a built 351 Cleveland with Holley EFI.
The ‘92 supercab was a close second to a Lightning for me. I spent many years modifying the truck to make it more like one. I lowered it, painted the bumpers and grille, added a chin spoiler and at the end a GT 40 302. During that period I also built a 2 wheel drive fullsize Bronco. I was one of those guys who built trucks close to a Lightning rather than just getting one.

92f.jpg

Bronco.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

The truck was real rough when I got it. It required serious body work and paint. Mechanically it was pretty sound for having over 150k on it and I actually drove it to the first 2 l fests before building a new engine and tranny.

before5.jpg

rear2.jpg

Progress.jpg

My list of modifications is as follows:

Engine
.030 Speed Pro Hypereutectics
World Products Windsor Heads (2.020 Valves)
Mustang cam
Roller rockers
70 mm tb & spacer
Lots and lots of underhood chrome & paint
I built the tranny myself using the time honored knowledge base of Gregg Evans. It has all the latest updated hardware and the special tweaks to make it reliable.
MSD ignition
Custom aluminum radiator and fans
3/5 lowering
Chromed stock wheels
Sir Michaels roll pan
I also added rear disc brakes, this was a modification that I wrote a “flashes” article about. I used Ford Explorer hardware and it made the truck a lot more fun to drive.

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

This truck has been nothing but interesting. I bought it sight unseen from a dealer in Iowa. It was mechanically sound, but UGLY. I flew in to Omaha, Nebraska between snow storms, got a ride up to Dennison from Tim Acker (Timack) and bought the truck. I drove it back to California being chased by weather.
I spent 6 months working over the truck stem to stern. During that time the truck had it’s wheels stolen, was completely torn apart and put back together. The truck was painted less than 2 weeks before I left for the first Lightningfest. I was still putting on parts the day before we left. Nothing like taking a truck to an event still smelling of fresh paint!
I could go on about my various experiences getting to Lightningfest, but those stories all have become folklore of this club. For those who haven’t heard them, or weren’t there, buy me a beer sometime and I will cause you to ask why I keep doing this to myself.

S5000018.JPG

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I have been a mechanic all my career, I went to school for automotive and am an ASE certified mechanic. I have background in machine and fabrication work.
My life is pretty centered around my work. I am a plant mechanic on The Metropolitan Water Districts Colorado River Aqueduct at the Iron Mountain Pump Plant.

ironPic1.gif

I maintain 9 4,300 horsepower electric pumps.

4_300hp.JPG

I live here most of the time and spend my off time working on my truck at the shops here.

Shop1.jpg

I am Group President for AFSCME local 1902, Group VII. I represent employees at 3 of our facilities spread out over about 60 miles.
My kids are real involved in the trucks, my daughter was originally supposed to have a Gen 1 that I bought from Jerry (GJLS) and restored, but elected to get an ’03 F-150 Harley. My son is 12 and keeps telling me the black Lightning is his.

My2.jpg

Mike's kids Crystal and Anthony
Anthony_Crystal.JPG

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I have been on the boards since 2000. The folks here were a great pool of information when I had my supercab. I formally joined the club in ’03 when I got my ’95. My reason for joining? Simple, supporting those who support you is key in any organization. I am also an active member of our sister club, The NHTOC, and have made a lot of good friends over there. Somehow, I seem to keep buying new trucks from an individual over there. Thanks Randy.

Thefleet.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I think the site is pretty user friendly, we as members just need to keep the good information out in the forefront to help the newer guys and gals with their trucks.
This is where I put in my shameless plug for LightningFest 6. As the coordinator I encourage everyone to make the effort to attend this year. LightningFest is a great opportunity for all of us to put faces to names and hang out and have fun with a unique group of folks.

LightningFest 6 General Information ONLY! - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

My initials (MJ) and the engine displacement of most of my fleet (351). It was a good fit for me.

Y6W7553_Large_.JPG

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Build number 1679 is about where I want her. I will throw out a hint. She is in curlers right now getting some improvements for LightningFest 6, gotta be ready for the competition.

IMG_0554.JPG

10. This is where you link favorite websites, your website, family pictures and add any other comments.

There are a lot of folks I would like to thank, Tim Acker for helping me get the truck, Jerry Skinner for giving me the right advice. It wouldn’t be right not to thank Shawn Fuss for being my reason for making my truck better, and for being a good friend. There are countless others in the club who I have the pleasure of calling my friends, and you know who you are, (you too VERN).
The person who I really owe a huge debt of gratitude is my best friend and tool partner Mike Wieczorek. Many of you guys in the club have met him at various events. He is the guy who sharpened my painting skills and has had a hand in making my truck the trophy getter it has been for me.

Me_Fuss.jpg

Congratulations to Mike Jones and his 1995 Black Gen 1 Truck of the Month, July 2008!

Y6W7611_Large_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mike, very well deserved!

Looking forward to seeing the big changes you made at Lightning Fest 6!!!!

Congrats Cuz!! Looking forward to seeing the Black Beauty again - NEXT MONTH!

Just in case everybody doesn't know - that black truck is C-L-E-A-N !!!

Great Truck Mike! Your hard work really shows.
Always enjoy you at the lfest. Thanks for stepping up to the plate this year to do the fest.

Congrats Mike,well deserved.Increadible truck.

Hope to see you guys again at L-fest VII.We wont be able to make VI.

Congrats Mike,well deserved.Increadible truck.

Hope to see you guys again at L-fest VII.We wont be able to make VI.

Sorry to hear, can't guarantee there will be a VII. We are having a hard enough time making VI a success !!

Congrats Cuz!! Looking forward to seeing the Black Beauty again - NEXT MONTH!

Just in case everybody doesn't know - that black truck is C-L-E-A-N !!!

Thanks Vern, now what will they say when they see what I did this year? I guess I should get cracking and put the truck back together !!!!

A BIG CONGRATS Mike !! I knew we'd get ya in here. So what's this about not givin' the Washington guys a leg up ?

Scott

A BIG CONGRATS Mike !! I knew we'd get ya in here. So what's this about not givin' the Washington guys a leg up ?

Scott

Well, Since you guys have BEATEN me 2 years runnin, I gotta kick her up a notch !!!!

Big congrats Mike, couldn't have gone to a more helpful guy. A+ see you at the fest:eek:ldtu:

ps I'm gonna need you to make my red one turn black and almost as shiny as yours :bigtu:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back