January 2009 Gen 2 Truck of the Month-Congrats to Brad "REDSVT150" Lang! (NLOC #2405)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

January 2009 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Brad (REDSVT150) Lang ! (NLOC #1291)

This months Gen 2 truck claims the ‘burbs of New Orleans as it’s personal territory. A 2002 Red model, Brad chose the less traveled path of turbocharging his truck. For Brad, it was a rather lengthy and trying process. The best part of the project has finally arrived, that being the completion ! Brad’s truck is an extremely well detailed Lightning as well as a potent package for the street and the strip. Read on to learn more about REDSVT150, his truck, and his trials and tribulations of his turbo conversion.

adams_004.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Well, I had known about them but was a Mustang guy. I was in the LAANG (Louisiana Air National Guard) and there was a guy that drove a RED Gen 1. I would see it every drill weekend in the parking lot. A few years later my now brother in law bought a Black ’93. In 2001 our unit was activated and I was sent overseas to Turkey. When I returned in 2002 I was in the market for a new vehicle. The 2003 SVT Cobra was getting ready to come out and I was looking for one. The company I work for had a program for employees to get X plan pricing. When I went to the dealer asking about X plan on a Cobra they told me no way. He asked if I was interested in a Lightning, and that he could do X plan on it. It was then I found out about the Gen 2 Lightning. He threw me the keys and said take it for a spin. OMG!!!!!! I couldn’t believe this was a truck. A few days later I was the proud owner of a 2002 Lightning. And I swore I would NEVER modify it……
3155172327_0a37a201a3_o.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

My first car was a 1983 Olds Cutlass. It was stolen twice within a month once. The fondest memory of the car was in 1989 I think. It was the year of the big May flood here in New Orleans. I was living on my own for the first time and was trying to get home from work. On the way home cars were stalled and submerged but my little Olds kept going. Even with water coming over the hood it didn’t miss a beat. At times it looked more like a submarine. Well it made it all the way home to my apartment.

PTS_kit_002.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Well, where should I begin? I started out with the usual array of mods. It all began with a CAI and eventually a lower pulley and SBTB. Then a ported blower and supporting mods. Then came the built motor and the KB with all its supporting mods also. In 2005 the motor came out again and that is when the KB went and the PTS Turbo kit was ordered. Everybody knows the horror stories about PTS so no need to elaborate. After the motor went back in I had fitment issues with installing the kit. I had decided on PSI Motorsports in Houston before to do the tuning so I called Patrick to see if he could complete the install for me. So I loaded the truck with the help of Bobby (Blue Oval Forever) and we brought it to PSI for completion. During that time frame I went to L-Fest in 2006. While we were there I got a chance to meet some of the big timers. We were set up next to Ralph, Jeff, Ray, Dave, and Keith. I was really looking hard at the turbo’d trucks. I noticed most were running an aftermarket ECU or ECM, which ever you want to call it. I even did a little research to see if anyone else was using an aftermarket ECM. I found a couple of guys that were. After a little more research I decided to go with a Big Stuff 3 set up for the truck. Patrick would also inform me that if I went BS3 that I would also need a transmission controller. So I sent Patrick the BS3 and he hooked me up with a Bauman unit. The SHOW side of the story has been the transformation of the interior. I have converted the interior to an all Black interior. A majority of the components were taken from a Harley model truck. A few had to be painted. The 2 pieces that were custom made were the trucks headliner and the seats. The headliner had to be redone to make the Harley rear pillar pieces work in the Lightning. The seats in my opinion are a masterpiece. The local guy that did both is nationally known for his work. The one item that may not be completed by the time this article is posted is the stereo, but I’m working on it. All of this took place over a 3-year span in which I couldn’t drive the truck.

gen2project_001.jpg

interior_002.jpg

interior_004.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

The funniest story I have was when I first installed the KB. We had a mod party and the mods I was installing were the KB, 60lb injectors and 255 fuel pumps. This was all before I had gotten a break in tune from my then tuner. After the install I cranked the truck it wouldn’t stay running. I had to keep giving it gas to keep it from dying. A buddy told me it was probably because of the pumps and injectors and it not being tuned for them. While driving home I could literally watch the fuel gauge move as I was driving home. I went home the long way and avoided the interstate just so I would be near gas stations on the way home.

adams_008.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I grew up in Metairie, which is a suburb of New Orleans. I spent 12 years in the LAANG as an F-15 Crew Chief and also in Aerospace Repair. I married my wife Doreen in 1993 and have 2 awesome children. The oldest is our daughter Jordan (11) and the youngest is our son Brendan (8). I like to fish but don’t do it enough. Now that Brendan is getting a little older and I inherited my grandfather’s boat I think we will get to spend more time doing that. I have been with Motiva Enterprise for the past 9 yrs. They are owned by Shell Oil. I work at one of their refineries as a Process Operator here in Louisiana. I love my commute of only 11 miles compared to what I used to drive. My only other hobbies are my trucks. I also own a 1993 Lightning.

Christmas_family_picture_2006.jpg

adams_013.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I joined the NLOC site as a user in 2002 after I bought my truck. I went to a couple of local GTG and finally joined as a member in Sept of 2003. It is a great place to hang out and get good info and feedback so I wanted to support that. The T-shirt and sticker were nice also.

gen2project_009.jpg

pipes_003.jpg

pipes_002.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I think the site is fine and very easy to navigate. I haven’t had any issues with using or navigating the site.

3156006716_a6f3b4a144_o.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

That is simple. I have a F150, which is an SVT and RED in color.

3156006742_0a106428d8_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

As stated above I need to get the stereo equipment installed but after that the truck is finished. Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3156006796_ec4114432a_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

First and foremost I would like to thank my wife Doreen for putting up with my hobbies. I would also like to send a big thanks to Bobby (Blue Oval Forever) for all his hard work in helping me get the truck this far. The LOLA gang for their support when things aren't going so well. I would also like to thank the NLOC, my extended family for your input and helpful information. Also Patrick and the gang at PSI for doing fantastic work and Adam’s Polishes for making great detailing products. They have the BEST customer service.

3156006774_abe278b387_o.jpg

Congratulations to Brad Lang and his 2002 Red Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, January 2009 !

Last edited:
Nice Truck!!!! So did you get all things working good in the performance department, Good luck and congrats

Dennis,

Yes all the is working good in the performance department. Now that the break in is complete, I need to get it back to Patrick for the boost controller install and to turn up the wick and see what it does...:eek:ldtu:

And thanks for all the congrats. It has been a long time since I was able to drive my baby. The process is finally coming to and end and it will be time to enjoy it.

Brad

GORGEOUS TRUCKS !!! :drool:

I definitely agree with your comment about Adam's Polishes. Simply the best all around. Adam ROCKS !! :bigtu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back