Is It OK To Start A Social/Political/What-We-Think-Is-Right Discussion?

bumperquip

I can't fathom that I'm alone in thinking we all have strong and varying opinions and perspectives on the many and varied political and social issues facing all of us in these f***ing crazy and unprecedented times.

As long as none you guys and gals don't have a problem, I'd really like start a thread wherein anyone and everyone can post and express their views, perspectives and opinions (hopefully without retribution).

Who's in ... ?

With support, I'll start.

I say go for it! This is anything goes after all right?

I am a financially conservative socially liberal Southern Democrat, yeah figure that one out. I like fairness for everyone not just the wealthy or privaledged. I am for common sense gun control even though I have many. And like we've spoken before I feel healthcare is a right, not something that the free market should manipulate.

I always tell people, today's politics, which is filled with so much hatred (kinda like going to a NASCAR race with a Gordon shirt) and animosity has no place for most people whom I think all hover to one side or another of center. The fringes do the talking and we end up with people representing the vocal minority of both sides.

I'm a conservative Libertarian, I guess,vote Republican. I don't care what anyone does as long as the person doing it is the only one affected by it. I'm not for ANY kind of gun control, because it only restricts law abiding citizens like myself, not criminals. I think English should be the official language of the US. I'm against ILLEGAL immigration,welcome all that immigrate here LEGALLY.

Yes, everyone should have healthcare, as long as you can pay for it! Whats next on the "right" list? A free college education? A house? Car? I'm tired of being over taxed and the $$ that I earn being taken from me and given to lazy A*S F**Ks that don't want to work. NO FREE LUNCH! Tired of a bloated Federal Gov that wastes $$.

Global Warming? I'll agree that the earth's temperature is changing, but not that man has anything to do with it, or can do anything to affect it. Autonomous cars? Hell no! I want the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want without the government knowing.

Sick of the "white American male" being demonized by the press. How is it that asking people to work for a living and obey the law is RACIST?

Brian for president! I vote less government and less government infringement. I'm pretty pissed about Jeff Sessions, the AG decision / decree on pot and I don't even smoke it. Less government all around and we need to be skeptical of our government, not dependent on it.

I'm a conservative Libertarian, I guess,vote Republican. I don't care what anyone does as long as the person doing it is the only one affected by it. I'm not for ANY kind of gun control, because it only restricts law abiding citizens like myself, not criminals. I think English should be the official language of the US. I'm against ILLEGAL immigration,welcome all that immigrate here LEGALLY.

Yes, everyone should have healthcare, as long as you can pay for it! Whats next on the "right" list? A free college education? A house? Car? I'm tired of being over taxed and the $$ that I earn being taken from me and given to lazy A*S F**Ks that don't want to work. NO FREE LUNCH! Tired of a bloated Federal Gov that wastes $$.

Global Warming? I'll agree that the earth's temperature is changing, but not that man has anything to do with it, or can do anything to affect it. Autonomous cars? Hell no! I want the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want without the government knowing.

Sick of the "white American male" being demonized by the press. How is it that asking people to work for a living and obey the law is RACIST?

Seriously ... I've done extensive research.

I'm planning to retire out of my native country and Iceland is my choice ... Tell me why I'm wrong.

You beat me to it, Ron. I was thinking of doing this after the success of the healthcare thread. I think it's an important time to talk about things because the country is incredibly divided right now and the extreme bias from Fox and MSNBC are helping drive the wedge deeper into the crack.

I say go for it! This is anything goes after all right?

I am a financially conservative socially liberal Southern Democrat, yeah figure that one out. I like fairness for everyone not just the wealthy or privaledged. I am for common sense gun control even though I have many. And like we've spoken before I feel healthcare is a right, not something that the free market should manipulate.

I always tell people, today's politics, which is filled with so much hatred (kinda like going to a NASCAR race with a Gordon shirt) and animosity has no place for most people whom I think all hover to one side or another of center. The fringes do the talking and we end up with people representing the vocal minority of both sides.

Raymond for president!!

I'm planning to retire out of my native country and Iceland is my choice ... Tell me why I'm wrong.

... the weather?

I'm Moving To Iceland ... Tell Me Why I'm Wrong ...

"All cars registered in Iceland must get a vehicle inspection regularly at an authorized vehicle inspection company to ensure that it conforms to regulations governing safety, emissions etc. Twice a year car owners must pay vehicle tax which depends on how much carbon dioxide the car releases while driving."

Firearms over 8mm caliber are banned.

"The Personal Income Tax Rate in Iceland stands at 46.30 percent. Personal Income Tax Rate in Iceland averaged 44.33 percent from 1995 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 46.90 percent in 1996 and a record low of 35.70 percent in 2007."

"Cost of living in Iceland is 68.31% higher than in United States (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in Iceland is 39.96% higher than in United States "

Just did a little searching,a beautiful place for sure, but...

"All cars registered in Iceland must get a vehicle inspection regularly at an authorized vehicle inspection company to ensure that it conforms to regulations governing safety, emissions etc. Twice a year car owners must pay vehicle tax which depends on how much carbon dioxide the car releases while driving."

Firearms over 8mm caliber are banned.

"The Personal Income Tax Rate in Iceland stands at 46.30 percent. Personal Income Tax Rate in Iceland averaged 44.33 percent from 1995 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 46.90 percent in 1996 and a record low of 35.70 percent in 2007."

"Cost of living in Iceland is 68.31% higher than in United States (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in Iceland is 39.96% higher than in United States

Sounds like a great place to live Ron....good luck with that....

Nothing wrong with Iceland Ron, the Vikings loved it, and I can guarantee you will freeze your @ss off in your lifetime anyhow 9 months out of the year. Plus, how will you use your medicare there when you get to be an old dude?
I pretty much share Brian's philosophy. The buck has to stop BEFORE free health care. People are taking less and less responsibility for themselves and families. The first $1485 dollars out of my pension check goes right towards the COBRA so I and my wife can enjoy the security of a premium health care plan. Where as my sister retired and said screw the COBRA and is gambling she does not get sick until she gets medicare age, going on trips over seas and basically throwing the money she should be putting into a healthcare plan away. Unless you are an orphan or a disabled veteran, any able body person better get their butts out there and work for it.

I get where you guys are coming from, it's easy to say "hey get a job and pay for what you want, don't look for handouts". And for the most part I agree, if someone wants an iPhone, or an Xbox, or a 12-pack, or a Lightning get a damn job and work for it! No argument from me.

**BUT** Healthcare is a different animal, because the point you all are missing is that people with no insurance use the county Emergency room as their primary care. AND GUESS WHO PAYS FOR THAT? In addition without preventative care we are stuck with masses of people who are in poor health which accelerates the vicious cycle of using the Emergency room on the taxpayer's dime.

So besides the part of me that feels in this prosperous world (yes it's flawed, no doubt) we should afford people with certain rights, I am also being selfish. Indirectly we all pay for people who have no insurance, so the obvious pull yourself up by your bootstraps doesn't apply.

I get where you guys are coming from, it's easy to say "hey get a job and pay for what you want, don't look for handouts". And for the most part I agree, if someone wants an iPhone, or an Xbox, or a 12-pack, or a Lightning get a damn job and work for it! No argument from me.

**BUT** Healthcare is a different animal, because the point you all are missing is that people with no insurance use the county Emergency room as their primary care. AND GUESS WHO PAYS FOR THAT? In addition without preventative care we are stuck with masses of people who are in poor health which accelerates the vicious cycle of using the Emergency room on the taxpayer's dime.

So besides the part of me that feels in this prosperous world (yes it's flawed, no doubt) we should afford people with certain rights, I am also being selfish. Indirectly we all pay for people who have no insurance, so the obvious pull yourself up by your bootstraps doesn't apply.

You are right Raymond, there is so much abuse with people getting ambulance rides to the ER for a cough or flu. I spent 32 years in the FD and people without health care were the biggest abusers of the health care system. They would have empty beer bottles on the coffee table and cigarettes but didn't have any money for their febrile baby for tylenol, so they get the free ride to the ER by ambulance for their childs fever, that would resolved itself with a couple tylenol. Thats why I feel the way I do. They feel entitled and what they get for nothing the appreciate for nothing for the most part. They are the same ones that go to the trough for other free programs too.

Apparently, the auto theft rate in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area of Florida is one, if not the, highest in the nation.

Apparently, the major percentage of these crimes are committed by a group the population we know as teenagers.

In order to combat this situation we have one Florida lawmaker who's introduced a bill making it a crime (2nd degree misdemeanor) for a vehicle owner to leave his or her car unlocked or to leave the keys in one's car.

I'm anxiously but expectantly awaiting the time in this country wherein the front door of one's home is busted in by a meth-head or two, personal belongings are stolen, dogs or cats get shot or worse family member(s) are assaulted, but during law enfoercement's investigation it's found that a bathroom window at the back of the house was not properly latched and it's the homeowner who ends up incarcerated.

Last edited:
More laws to control the law abiding, this is insane. Can't they see what gun control is doiing up in Chicago, the homicide capital of the US?

More laws to control the law abiding, this is insane. Can't they see what gun control is doiing up in Chicago, the homicide capital of the US?

... and, as you've already pointed out SteveO, it seems as though we law-abiding citizens are becoming the ones responsible, accountable and now even prosecutable for the criminal activity, addictions, poverty and overall mis-guidings of all of those others.

Back