Internal wastegates

LightningWolf

NLOC Member: 1270
Who knows about these?

I am looking at a possible turbo for my truck, and I want to learn about these.

I know with external wastegates, it is controlled by a spring, but there is a rod on the internal wastegate.

Thanks.

They are actuated the same way an external gate is using a sring loaded vacuum diaghram.
All Buick GN's come with internal gates as a stock unit and it is common practice to modify the hell out of it before you finally have to change it for and external unit.
Common mods are, diaghram cannisters with high pressure spings and boring out the exhaust housing to make the waste gate hole slightly larger and then porting the waste gate area in the turbine housing. These three things along with a custom down pipe meant to enhance the waste gate flow can take you a long long ways. There are a lot of 500+ hp GN's running around out there with the stock configuration (internal) waste gate on them
Dale

personally, internally gated turbos are ancient and ineffective as compared to externally gated turbos. there are a lot of problems associated with internally gated turbos with serious breathing problems due to the irregularly shaped exhaust housing of the turbo. this makes custom dp's very expensive since it takes time to make that shape, and the shape has to be deep enough for the flap on the gate to open up. you're also creating turbulence! with an external wastegate, dump it into the atmosphere and you'll see significant hp gains just from that.

grand national

I have been working on my buddys grand national and internal wastegates were new to me too. on the GN forum they explained how to do it with walk threws it was pretty easy.

theres a rod connected to a vaccum egr looking thing. we cut 1/4 inch out of the rod, threaded it and put a coupling in between. with 1 complete turn of the coupling he makes about 1-2lbs of boost. it was pretty easy

Danny

It will turn up. E9TAC lost his supercharger kit, they found it a week later, but it wasn't a pretty sight.
Good luck, hopefully insured.
Steve

Its been missing since XMAS eve.

I hope it turns up Steve, I bought a tweecer and was going to see if I could get some tunes from ya

I really really really hope the kit pops back up but knowing humans I think an employee stole it. I packed it in a huge box since the headers already had piping and flanges on them. It barely made it 100 miles from here. Just BS.
If you still want to go turbo I will find you another turbo(s). Just hope your luck isnt the worst in the world.

Back