Intake for Star Smog

ImaFordtrackman

Hello All,

In need of a little assistance I'm sure you've all had some experience with.

I'm still in need of getting my 2001 L smogged for registration this year and am having a hell of a time finding any reasonable solutions.

I have an aftermarket air filter (stock Elbow and MAF) and do not have the stock air box set up. To my understanding, not having a box around this filter with a sticker on it = an automatic fail here in CA

It doesn't look like anyone is selling our stock air boxes on ebay or the classifieds section here. Which it appears would leave me with the option of spending $270 on a certified K&N intake just to pass smog...I'm planning on selling the truck as soon as this is taken care of so would prefer not to spend so much just to have it smogged.

Any more talented internet people here that can find a reasonably priced stock box, or intake that will get me through this seemingly pointless visual sticker test. Either that or can pm me a local star certified smog technician in the east bay who would be willing to overlook not having this stock airbox/code.

This all frustrates and makes no sense to me that there are regulations on your intake if your emission are fine:?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Does it look like it could pass for a K&N....Im sure there are lots of guys that have stickers and dont need them. I have also gone to the ARB web site and just printed the paperwork and gave it to them and they didnt know that it wasnt the correct intake...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

I have also gone to the ARB web site and just printed the paperwork and gave it to them and they didnt know that it wasnt the correct intake...

You did this without having any sticker on your air filter/intake? Seems like you could pick out any random intake listed there and just hand them the printout?

I was under the impression that as long as the changes were in front of the MAF it shouldn't effect your smog passing (maybe the laws have changed) Mine passed several years ago with the JLP air intake

Back