Info needed on cutting springs, new spring rate, etc

i8urchvy

APS Racing
I posted this in the general forum but thought maybe I could get more responses here since you guys seem to be very knowledgable about suspension.

I have been thinking about cutting my front springs. We did this on a members truck and cut one coil and achieved what I thought was the perfect drop. Now assuming the stock coils are close to 700lbs and have 8 coils I come up with:

New Spring Rate = R1
Number of new active Coils = N1
New Installed Length = L1

Original Spring Rate = R2
Number of original active Coils = N2
Original Installed Length = L2

R1 = R2*N2/N1

L1 = L2*N1/N2

R1=700*8/7
R1=~800lbs

Now this is about what Im looking to achieve as I rode in a vehicle with 1000lb and it was too much for me on a daily driver. Assuming I use a cutoff wheel to cut them and have HAL QA1 shocks would this work? I mean a spring is a spring right? Would this not be the same as purchasing a 800lb aftermarket spring? I am not looking to make a road course truck, I have a z06 I race for that. Basically I am looking for something that handles as good or maybe slightly better than stock but will hook up easier. I also plan on adding sways hoping this might help balance out the lower spring rate in the rear from the removed leaf (removed for 1/4 mile). Thanks

Back