Ignition module color?

JR80COUPE

Hello Guys. I have a 95 5.0 auto f150 with a 212 engine code. I've been doing some research and been seen people with grey or black ignition modules. I currently have a aftermarket grey module. Is this the correct one for my year truck? Thanks in advance.

Note: I hate check engine lights. Can't stand them.

I have a black module in my 95' L.
I tried the Accel aftermarket grey one but it was so bad that I wasn't gonna make it far. I never even backed it out of the garage with it. I put my OE black one in and no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I think my truck should have a black module but been seen so many different answers with people who have black and grey ones. Since I have a grey one, I'm going to try a black one to see how the truck runs with it and to see if my check engine light goes away.

Has the truck ever ran good with it? If so I'd stick with the gray one. Mine ran so bad at idle and wouldn't even rev up without coughing and missing. Like I mentioned I was trying the aftermarket gray one from Accel.

Ford's transition from gray push-start modules to black CCD modules was all over the map, so you can't assume that a 95 5.0L (which is probably mass air) is supposed to have a black CCD module because a 95 5.8L Lightning (speed density) has one. Most aftermarket parts counters will show both modules for all early-to-mid 90s Fords. Only way to be certain is to talk to a Ford parts counter and have your VIN and month/year of manufacture handy.

Based on my research, Ford used gray push-start modules in 93-94 Lightnings with C3P1, C3P2 and C3P3 computers. They switched to the black CCD modules late in the 94 model year when they switched to the ICY1 computer, so all 95 Lightnings have black CCD modules.

Shaunditty. I just bought the truck about two weeks ago and got it with the check engine light on. Ran fine till last week as I was going home from work it stalled on me on the freeway and did not want to start back up. Waited like 2-3 min and then it fired back up but before that while at work as I was leaving to lunch the truck did not want to start.

So I contacted the previous owner of the truck and he said that he replaced the module with the Grey one because the auto parts store he went to said that that was the correct one for the truck and color had nothing to do with it. Lol. I called my buddy that works at a local ford dealership and had me get a black module and just installed it and no more check engine light. Drove it for a good 20 min with no issues or check end light. Thanks for all the help guys.

Its interesting to me that it ran good at all when you got it. It should have ran like dog crap with the wrong module in it period. But if your CEL is off and your trucks running good now that's good news.

You need to pull the codes and FIX what issues they are TELLING you. Not throw parts at it and ask people on the internet whats wrong.

Back