I had a bad off, first session on Sat.

Since I'm in the red run group I can take riders with me so my son rode with me. I was all over the track and not hitting any corners correctly at all. I have this problem when I first get to the track that I think my go pedal is a on /off switch. About the end of the session I went into the first turn of the S's. I lost the rear and after a full lock correction I knew I was not going to save it so I did as we are told and drove off the track. I spun around in the mud and wet grass and hit the curb coming back on the track at the second turn of the S's and broke the left front wheel! Now it's stuck in the mud. I gotta tell you that I was the guy that never even considered tearing up my truck. It scared the crap out of me. I thought that stuff only happened to other people. I was brought down to earth hard. While waiting for the tire guy to get to the track my son offered his Mach One for me to use in one session..........boy what a difference! We have lowered his car and put in caster/camber plates plus we just installed a bumpstear kit. Guy's I guess I was the only one to know this but the L is a POS upside a good car. I thought because I was able to run away and hide from most in the lower run groups that my truck was just one bad SOB. Well it may be but a well set-up Mustang will run away and hide from it. It was fun but that's my last track event with the L. My next event (next month) I may run my son's car with him just in two different run groups. The QA-1's are already on Edwards truck and the rest of the mods will follow in the next few weeks.

J

I don't get the Vette until the end of May......to get the car at the price I want to pay. Right now they are getting almost sticker for them.

Jerry

Ah thats too bad :(

I'm doing my first open track event in May. I know the Lightning isn't the best out there but its still a lot of fun.

I'm waiting to see what the 06 Cobra goes for $$$.

That sucks.

'Bout now a Formula Ford being towed behind a L sounds like a pretty good deal. A full on race car for about $8k maybe 10 with a trailer...

And nice son you got, you do that and he offers up his ride! Gotta love that.

Yea, a proper set car can easily outhandle the L.

Half of the fun of the truck is trying to get it to behave but it's such a beastly unbalanced brick.

I can say I beat the pants off of stock Mach 1's at Pocono raceway. ;)

--Dan

Daniel,

When my son was running stock I could walk him also but with him on race rubber, lowered, adjustable shocks, bigger anti-sway bars, and caster/camber plates, he can walk off and leave me.

Jerry

ShadowBolt said:
Daniel,

When my son was running stock I could walk him also but with him on race rubber, lowered, adjustable shocks, bigger anti-sway bars, and caster/camber plates, he can walk off and leave me.

Jerry

Time to get a bigger stick, jer ... You coming to Sebring ????

Cliff,

I doubt I will ever go outside Texas to do a driving event. I have two great tracks within 2.5 hours from my house and since they run both of them CW and CCW it's like having four different tracks that close to home.

Talley,
I don't think it scared me as much as it made me think about what COULD happen. For some reason I always thought tearing up a car at the track would always happen to someone else.......not to me! Kind of like smokers that never think that smoking will kill them. I had that same line of thinking until I stopped smoking about 20 years ago.

J

I think your post scared me as well.

I am doing a Driving event in May at Summit Point with the Lightning but I'll probably be driving my new car after that. :)

DSCN2758.JPG

Oh Sweet! I was hoping some of you guys were going to make it. I heard 2 other Lightning guys from our chapter our going and possibly a 3rd which would make 4 Lightnings from The Northeast.

http://www.svtoa.org/events.htm

Its in West Virginia, not really that far from you. If you need more details let me know, there will be a bunch of us driving down together that Friday. You can probably meet up with us as we go by :)

Last edited:
Page wouldn't load up for me. West VA is not far at all. What are the dates. If I did it I would have to purchase some Ruslow coils and QA'1 before hand. Need to make sure I have the $$$. Thanks, -Mat-

Back