I don't own one but......

buster

I'm considering selling my 06 Gt Mustang and buying a Gen 2 lightning. They just seem to be a bit more practical than a Stang. In 2 years I have put about 35000 mi on my Stang. I race it when I can and really enjoy it.

What I'm asking (forgive my ignorance) is are they a decent vehicle to daily drive?
what kind of mileage can I expect ?
am I going to need a kidney belt because of a stiff suspension?
Are they expensive to maintain?
How bad/good are they in snow ? Will I need a beater for winter?
What are the things to look for when buying them?

Anything you can contribute would be appreciated

Hi Buster. Welcome to the site. I drive mine daily. Never drove in snow but it has a LOT of tourque so I would think if you live where it snows then yep...get a beater. As far as the ride it is not so bad. Gas mileage not so good as you probably expected. Fun to drive...Oh yea! Attention grabber...Deffinately! As far as maintenance goes. It isn't that high compared to other vehicles I've owned. Once you start modding them is when they get expensive. For MOST every mod you do to the thing, there seems to be 2 more "supporting" mods that need to go with it. A good example is a pulley. You put say a 6lb lower pulley on. Well, then you have to get cooler plugs, larger MAF, and a good tune so you don't blow the engine up. So for a $200 pulley, you spend another $600 on "supporting" mods.
That is part of the fun though. There are so many things that you can do to these trucks and it gets addictive.
If you don't want one then I would say DON'T test drive one. If you do, you will buy one. They are that much fun. I've had mine for less than 6 months and I have already put almost 20,000 miles on it.

Good luck in your search for one. There are some nice ones in the classifieds on this site. Check them out.

Depends on what you consider "practical". While the back seat of your stang is not known for creature comforts, it's better than ramming three in the front seat.

These trucks are a rare beast, while fast they are agile to a fault, but once you find it's edge I would not push beyond it. I once got off on a soft shoulder with my S/C T-bird, and recovered, I hit the same shoulder in my Uncles L, lets just say the outcome was not the same. Like all Ford trucks they do there best work under deress, just look at the thread "Raceing while towing". Your stang is closer to 50/50 as weight over the tires goes, while the L, would be pushing to call it 60/40, and that will effect how it drives.

Also due to the high up over the road feeling to being in a truck, you get a confidence, you will soon learn is false. Like soccer moms in big SUV's you think you are ten foot tall and bullet proof, plus added ego boost, you got a respected right peddle. While you do have to get used to the stares, you have to interpret them from "I'm just looking at your nice truck", to "I think I can take you".

For the most part you have to live a bit of a lifestyle with owning an L, but the journey is more than worth it.

Last edited:
not an owner, yet

What I'm asking (forgive my ignorance) is are they a decent vehicle to daily drive?

Daily driver, I just bought number five. My first L was a '93 I got in "94, and so on. Like the men said, it's a blast. I missed mine sooo bad I just got an '04. I forgot about rearend, the 355's got better mileage I thought.

Drove mine daily and I am driven this one daily. I am over 50 and a "professional", now. You can wear flannel or a sport coat and they both fit in the L. It rides as well as a stang. I have a 350z now and the L has a lot less road vibration and noise. Less bumps too.

I remember getting 18-20mpg on the road, but i distinctly remember newer trucks with the 373 rear not getting to 18. Anyway, I have an '04 and the mileage is pretty bad. I have been afraid to figure it out. I work 30 miles away 4 days a week and drive around for pleasure a lot, (grin). Musta spent a good $60 last week, thats 20 gallons and maybe 340 miles, tha's about 17 mpg, not bad.

Six years ago I moved from Cleveland Ohio to Washington state, across from Portland OR. Hardly ever snows here, 2 weeks a year, maybe. In Cleveland, fo-get-about-it. I drove winters in the L several years. It's flat in northern Ohio, but even an over pass can be impossible to go over. Stability is gone, it's all feel and nerves. It can be done, but... Under the drivers visor or in the manual it says, no snow joe.

The least amount of money I have spent for a ride in over 15 years, and my '04 is the best buy I have had in over 15 years. I remember getting them new or a year old. Sheet, they are cheap now. Gas is minor. The difference of 10 mpg over a year is what? 20k miles at 20mpg is 1000 gallons or $3k. 20k miles at 17mpg, at $3/gal is $3600.00, a $600 difference. I figure I'll spend $1000 more for gas in a year over the 350z at an average 22mpg.

Most fun for your driving dollar, Ford Lightning, period.

Maintenance is hardly any more than an F-150 with the SC. No cadilac, riviera, lexus pricing. Tell your insurance company about the F-150 ya got, cause thats what it is, kinda, sorta.

Personally, I looked for low miles and no mods. I didn't want a track star that may have been road hard and put up wet. My opinion Highway Stars. I almost went for the 1400 mile '04 for sticker price, $26k. I went for the 20k mile '04 for $20k.

So there ya go, hope it helps.

I'm considering selling my 06 Gt Mustang and buying a Gen 2 lightning. They just seem to be a bit more practical than a Stang. In 2 years I have put about 35000 mi on my Stang. I race it when I can and really enjoy it.

A little info from a new owner. Bought my 03 L about 4 months ago. Its definitely one of the funnest vehicles I have owned, and I've had some wild ones. Gas wise, I get around 14 in the city 17 on the hwy and mine is a DD. Even though its not that great I kept in mind, its a heck of alot better then a 01 Dakota R/T (13mpg at best on the hwy) I owned, plus alot funner then that old pig. Snow driving well there's no snow here in Florida so I have no idea about it. However there are a few members on here that throw some sand bags in the bed and snow tires on. So it can be done, but I would go for the beater for the snow.

Things to look for the 99 to 02 models do have a issue with blowing the #8 spark plug out. Its a easy fix and a lot have been fixed. The 03 and 04 didn't have this issue. Crank case ventilation (PCV valves) its not the best system Ford has done. If you buy a L that is bone stock expect to have to pull the S/C off and clean the intercooler due to oil being sucked back up the intake. However its another easy fix if it hasn't been done.

All in all like every other vehicle on the road there are issues here and there, but the L is without question one of the funnest and best bang for your buck.
If I had the room and extra cash I wouldn't hesitate one second on buying a second one.

Purchased my 01 from the original owner who was a gen 1 owner and then bought this gen 2 new and used it as a DD work truck.

The truck had miles, hasn't been maintained, and still runs strong and I feel gets good mileage on the highway (16-18).

It's reliable, everything works on it at 156k, and it goes ok in the snow with a set of aftermarket 16" wheels and tires vs the stock 18s

It has sentimental value, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has a old Diablo chip and it pulls like 12psi and shifts firm and hard under heavy load.

I find it practical because I can toss stuff in the bed, and still haul ***. It also serves more function to me because the things dirty and has slight rust, and u can just not care about it, which is probably not the case with all of the examples you'll find.

Back