how to paint the inside door handles?

javman

This is my first try at a how too and it is not finished I will have more pics.

Here we go

what you will need:

Paint (I used Krylon Fusion black)
#2 phillips screw driver
Nut driver, socket ,or wrench the screw is not tight so I just used a 1/4"
grinder or small file
small punch
2- 1/8" x2 1/2" stainless fine thread screws and lock nuts
some 1/8" washers to take up the play in the door handle
5/16" wrench
Dawn dish soap
600 water proof sand paper

Remove the door panel and then using a nut driver, small socket, or wrench remove the screw to the door handle and slide toward the front of the truck.

Remove the cable from the clip and rotate the handle 90* then lift the cable out.

Now that the door handle is free you can grind or file off the rivet

P1010084.JPG

Now that the rivet is ground off take a punch and drive it out being careful not to lose the spring

The handle should now be free.

The fun part starts now with peeling all the chrome tape off the door handle

P1010090.JPG

I started with the loose edge of the chrome and worked it off very carefully with a good pocket knife. The front will come off easily the back is a PITA. Take care in not gouging the plastic also the chrome only needs to come off the visible part of the door handle.

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

Now that you have the chrome peeled off it is time to prep I started by filling the sink with water and some Dawn. Then I wet sanded the plastic with 600 to get the small pieces of plastic left by the tip of my knife (most where on non visible areas). Then a washed it in clean water and more Dawn to get rid of any body oils (from this point do not touch with your bare hands where you need to have paint stick). I blew it off with compressed air to dry it and hung it on a bent up wire hanger and let it dry for a few minutes.

P1010077.JPG

You are now ready to paint. I did mine on a quiet rainy week where there wasn’t much wind but the rain kept the dust down.

Technique is up to you but, I started with the top and bottom of the handle then went to the front and back to minimize runs from overspray (this was after a few trial and error paint sessions where I ended up taking the paint back off with brake clean and then rinsed it with Dawn and water again [Advanced auto’s house brand seems to be the strongest]). Wait around 30 seconds between the sprays because the paint will expand and smoothen out some to cover the part.

Now that the handle is painted I let dry over night and took it back and wet sanded with 600 again to take out any low spots or pits that where left in the plastic (the first time it was all the way back to the plastic in most areas so I could get good scuff marks on all the black paint.

Repaint

Now repeat as much as is necessary until you no longer sand through the black paint to get even scuff marks.

Now it is time for the final coat spray very lightly the paint will look like it is ruff for a few seconds so make sure to wait for a minuet if the surface looks ruff it might smoothen out and it will run if you spray too much. And let it dry for at least 24 hours

Now you reinstall the handle (from the front) in its bezel be careful the paint takes 7 days to cure and it is soft.

P1010078.JPG

I used a stainless 1/8x 2 ½ fine thread screw that I ground down to fit through door handle assy. with just enough thread to let a lock nut work. I also shimmed the handle with a washer to talk out the play in the handle.

P1010091.JPG

Use the punch (inserted from the bottom) to align the bezel handle washer and spring and insert the screw from the top (with the door panel on there is only enough room on the bottom of the handle for the nut).

Tighten the locknut to where it is tight agenst the bezel but dose not deform it.

P1010080.JPG

P1010079.JPG

washer is the small shiny thing in on the bottom
P1010081.JPG

Now reinstall the assy. being careful not to scratch the handle wile reinstalling the door panel and you are done.

P1010082.JPG

P1010083.JPG

Back