How many would buy a next gen L with a 3 valve?

Would you buy the nex't gen L with a 3 valve motor

• 3 valve motor with 425 hp

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • A forged navigator 5.4 dohc with 500hp

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Keep your current L and build on that

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • The aluminum block 5.4 dohc with 500 hp

Votes: 54 48.6%

• Total voters

ib fast

I would opt to keep my current L with built motor and tranny and add an aftermarket blower....if the nex't gen ends up with a 3 valve 425 hp version of the future L,rather than a 4 valve motor.

When i say 4 valve,i mean a forged navigator block at the very least.

Would you buy a nex't gen L with a 3 valve motor?

I'd go for 3valve as long as the damn engine is stronger then our current ones and definatly no plug shooting out of it :)

forget the plug problem. I'm disappointed with the head gasket sealing problems (STILL PREVELANT!!!) and then the crap rods. I mean if cobras can get manleys, why can't Lightnings? Then the "new" issue of the crankshafts cast v. forged. I think the all alum DOHC 5.4 would be killer! But I would have to say by the time the new ones are out, mine will be paid for and I'm going to have too much done to it to get rid of it... Plus I'm not sure yet if I like the new F150 bodystyle.

Frank5L said:
But I would have to say by the time the new ones are out, mine will be paid for and I'm going to have too much done to it to get rid of it... Plus I'm not sure yet if I like the new F150 bodystyle.
I'm in the same boat.:D

Well, since I just bought my L in May, and I bought now because I think the new F150 and L concept are FUGLY, I think I'll just keep the one I've got. :D

If its a 500hp/500tq version, then I'll buy it. If its 425hp, that is not enough to get me to even glance in its direction.

That being said, I am VERY pleased with the reliability of my '99L. I bought it new, its got ~40k miles and not a lick of trouble...but then again, its pretty stock.

I don't like the independent rear axle (more wheel hop) plus my 02 only 6000k on it. but like most guys I think Ford should make good on these head problems such as leaks and spark-plug launches. They should realize that they only have to fix 4700+ to make people happy! could be the difference between another choice of truck for some. :3g: :?

Wouldn't buy it under any circumstances. Just can't stomach the looks. And why would I want to drop down to a mere 500 h.p?

WA 2 FST said:

That being said, I am VERY pleased with the reliability of my '99L. I bought it new, its got ~40k miles and not a lick of trouble...but then again, its pretty stock.

Same here at 31K miles. Super reliable truck. I figure by the time the next L shows up at dealerships, mine will be at the end of its warranty. It really depends on Price, Performance, and what else is being offered when I'm ready to trade up.:? ;w

I am all about the motor swap. Just get the new motor and put it in your gen 2 then your truck is paid for and it will be faster than the gen3.
Just what I would do if I had a gen2.

I cant believe how many people post about hating the new F150. I know its just an opinion but the hard creases and bold look how can you not like it? I have a gen2 and love it but the soft round look is great for car shows, but when it comes to looking fast how could you vote no on the gen3? The 04's sure are selling great and get great reviews so I guess the only people who dont like them are on this site. I just dont understand. Its like the mustang the 94-98 looks out of place all rounded ( hey I had 2 of them and loved both) The 99-04 looks much more like the replacement for the 87-93 hard defined lines etc... The same for the L's 93-95 Square, 99-04 round, 06 square. Seems Ford has a habit of this. I know change is hard but give it a chance!

I don't like the look of the new F150 cause it's too much like everything else. When Ford brought out the new look in late 96 (97 model year) I bought one of the first, there were so few out there that we waved at each other! The new style set Chevy and Dodge on their ears and they guickly tried to copy the Ford look.

Now it's like Ford is trying to copy their look...

Besides, the new truck is going to need significantly more power (HP and Tq) to offset the several hundred pounds of added weight....

I got an 03 cause I think it's one of the last of the best. I'll be keeping this one, thank you.

Now the new Mustang is an entirely different question. I love it and if there's room for my fat butt in it, It will be hard for me not to park one next to the L...

My '99 has been reliable and has over 53K on it... Never had any problems except the intercooler and 1 coil pack went out... Other than that I will be keeping mine and possibly in the next year or 2 put in a built motor with a ProCharger...

Later, Justin

Hammer head, how much was the SRT-10 if you dont mind me askin? I know that if Ford is going to compete then its got to have more than 425hp, its probably going to be closer to 500 like the concept. If thats the case it will be pricey for sure. By the way I like the gen III - looks tough!

Ghostrider said:

Now the new Mustang is an entirely different question. I love it and if there's room for my fat butt in it, It will be hard for me not to park one next to the L...
I heard that. I'm waiting for the Shelby version to appear, and then we'll see if my current L stays in my stable or if somebody gets a great deal on a low mile 2000.

Back