How do you paint bumpers yourself?

finl42

I'm considering painting my bumpers (front and rear) myself...just had a few questions about it. I'm trying to figure out if I should attempt it or not. The bumpers need no dents fixed or anything, but the front does have lots of stone chips.

What type of special tools would I need to do this RIGHT?

How do I fix the stone chips in the bumper? Just sand it down, primer, sand, primer, until they are filled in?

Where can I find GOOD quality paint, and primer for this project?

Where can I find a good paint gun to hook up to the air compressor?

What should I expect...besides spending lots of time to do it right? I'm in college, and on a budget, but know I can do a good job if I just research it. Plus I'd just like to say that I did it :)

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey finl42. I am a collision repair tech, and i think i might be able to lead u in the right direction. The best way to get rid of the chips is to media blast the whole bumper, then you can sand it with some 180-220 grit sand paper. Prime it, sand that with 400-500, degrease it and paint it. Or for limited budgets you can sand the whole bumper with 80 till you get all the chips out prime and so on. if you need any more answers pm and i can help you out:tu:
Angus

Back